What’s everyone’s opinion? Original or ‘trick’

Falkster

Devout Dirtbag
I’m still new to the forum but I’ve looked at loads of builds and absorbing a lot of what’s said in many of the treads. I may also say I could see this forum being the reason for my 3rd divorce.
I’m just at the beginning of hopefully a short journey of rebuilding a bike I have from when I was late teens early twenties and I have a question. When considering a rebuild/restoration would members prefer to rebuild back to exactly as it was from the factory or their ‘perfect’ version of that bike?
I remember getting the bike new and all I ever wanted to do was to get new everything in some wild anodised colour but as times go it would seem standard/factory spec seems the option.
What does everyone else think?

Re:

Hi,

Well whatever suits you the best! For example I'm currently doing total restoration for my childhood dream bike, but I acquired two of them (in really bad shape) at the same time, so I can build one to original spec and the second with some anodized bling :LOL:

So either way is good, maybe for your first project the personal/custom build would be the easier (more offering on parts), but it's just a personal preference.

Good luck with the project and enjoy!

there is no one answer to that. I see three broad tendencies

purists strive for originality, anarchists strive for their own flavour of originality, folks with loads of money can strive for perfection with boutique components.

No harm in taking any of these routes but I guess most achieve some form of compromise between the three. Me, I tend towards the anarchy, I'd choose decent quality parts where I can and matching parts / period is noce to have, but budget dictates that there is only so far up the purist / perfection ladders I can proceed before I get dizzy.

Re: Re:

Dami":3arxqz09 said:
Hi,

Well whatever suits you the best! For example I'm currently doing total restoration for my childhood dream bike, but I acquired two of them (in really bad shape) at the same time, so I can build one to original spec and the second with some anodized bling :LOL:

So either way is good, maybe for your first project the personal/custom build would be the easier (more offering on parts), but it's just a personal preference.

Good luck with the project and enjoy!

I like your style!! Could I use your name as an excuse for when I tell my partner I’ve decided on two builds.

Falkster":1pnslpq9 said:
I like your style!! Could I use your name as an excuse for when I tell my partner I’ve decided on two builds.

You have my blessing for that :D But as Rick there said, it's also about the money you can/want to spend. For example two projects at the same time, and trying to do them on a smart budget, will take a lot of time (especially alongside family life..). So it's maybe a good idea to start with a single project, if you want to get it finished in reasonable time! :D

Dami":1khy8na9 said:
Falkster":1khy8na9 said:

You have my blessing for that :D But as Rick there said, it's also about the money you can/want to spend. For example two projects at the same time, and trying to do them on a smart budget, will take a lot of time (especially alongside family life..). So it's maybe a good idea to start with a single project, if you want to get it finished in reasonable time! :D

Other then diesel I literally spend nothing. The way I look at it is if I’m spending it my misses isn’t :D

Re:

I started off riding stock, progressed to upgraded stock, then finally it was no compromise custom frames and best of bespoke throughout. Never really been a fan of stock bikes but they seem to be the most popular in BOTM.

Re:

Your bike. Your choice.
There is no right or wrong. Only "being".

If it matters, then Original may be the cheaper path to enlightenment...

Re: Original or 'trick'?

I look at that question as, stock or hot rod? That question needs to be answered by the frame and your intended use. If your project bike isn't going to have a hard life after the build, original parts are a nice touch. But if the bike is to be ridden like when we were younger riders on hardtails, are you willing to risk that frame or nice stock parts to crashes and hard use?

I favour period parts that may not be stock, but at least are of the right time period. It gives us more freedom during the build, and more options for consumables or crash replacement parts. The bike can be built with lighter or stronger parts that stock, but the hot rodded frame will still look every bit the period piece, likely with a nicer ride than the stock parts. And when you're riding to the trails, even carbon fiber equipped roadies will drop a "Nice bike" comment as they pass.

M-Power":342sl9im said:
I started off riding stock, progressed to upgraded stock, then finally it was no compromise custom frames and best of bespoke throughout. Never really been a fan of stock bikes but they seem to be the most popular in BOTM.

I’m not sure if I could go as far as bespoke. I like the idea that someone knows better than me about frame design and I can add my personal touches.

M-Power? Is that another one of your hobbies?

Latest posts

Back