90's Ti MTB

Afnug

Retro Newbie
Hi all

I have just just done a bit of a restoration of a Marin Bear Valley, which I enjoyed doing but now I am thinking about the next project, I have built four Ti road bikes and one Ti CX bike, I still have the CX and one road but they are modern bikes, II have never built a Ti MTB. so the question is how often do early 90's MTB Ti frames come up for sale? something like a Kona Hei Hei or Marin, not interested in suspension forks.

If I can find the right frame I will sell the Bear Valley and start again.

Hi

Ti frames/bikes do come up now and again. Of course, wether it is your size is a big question, also obviously some makes are for sale less often than others.

I think putting an ad in the wanted section is a good idea, also just a case of constant searches on auction pages and the for sale section in here. More desirable frames dont hang about very long :)

They pop up of course. More like you will land a mid to late 90s frame though; at that point
any respecting brand felt the need to have a flagship Ti build in the catalogue (except Cannondale ;-))

.....but, tell me about this Ti CX please!

Re: Ti CX

Woz

The Ti CX is not a retro build it's an On One Pickenflick, I picked the frame up from Planet X when they were having one of their many sales events, I built some wheels with Stans tubeless ready rims and run it with Vittoria XN pro tyres, they are not tubeless ready but work fine without tubes, TRP spyre mechanical discs and Shimano 105 gearing and shifters, lts my favourite ride of the bikes I have.

Re:

Id reccy a US made one by Sandvik ( Hei Hei ) or Litespeed, unless you want to drop heavy coin. As good as it gets imo.

Re:

Litespeed I know Sandvik I only recognise from tools, so they made the Kona Hei Hei frames ?

Re:

Kona Titanium frames were made from Sandvik tubing, and welded by a company called T.S.T. - Titanium Sports Technologies.

If you are looking for a 19" frame, then one has just come up for sale on e-Bay.

This is the King Kahuna, which has enhanced ovalised tubing and gusseting, compared to the Hei Hei. They do both have the same Top Tube Decal, but the K.K. has the extra Decal on the Seat Stays. The frame is a 1997 and has suspension corrected geometry. They work well with a 60mm - 80mm travel fork. You mentioned not being interested in suspension, so a pair of Kona Project II with 410mm C-A would be excellent.

The Decals look original, which many Retro riders regard as more essential than tidier replicated Decals.

The pictures are poor quality for such a high end frame, but the price is good.

It's been discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=392804

Here is the link to e-Bay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202541627636

Pip

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

pipmeister":2u39p1c4 said:
Kona Titanium frames were made from Sandvik tubing, and welded by a company called T.S.T. - Titanium Sports Technologies.

If you are looking for a 19" frame, then one has just come up for sale on e-Bay.

This is the King Kahuna, which has enhanced ovalised tubing and gusseting, compared to the Hei Hei. They do both have the same Top Tube Decal, but the K.K. has the extra Decal on the Seat Stays. The frame is a 1997 and has suspension corrected geometry. They work well with a 60mm - 80mm travel fork. You mentioned not being interested in suspension, so a pair of Kona Project II with 410mm C-A would be excellent.

The Decals look original, which many Retro riders regard as more essential than tidier replicated Decals.

The pictures are poor quality for such a high end frame, but the price is good.

It's been discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=392804

Here is the link to e-Bay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202541627636

Pip

Crazy cheap for such a high quality frame - Buy it ! You will never regret buying a top quality Ti frame as long as its the correct size. The ride is sublime :xmas-big-grin:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I have had five Ti frames and they all have had welded bottle bosses, do all early Ti frames have rivnut type bosses? Welded bosses are far better IMO.

Back