Don't heat your thumbshifers....

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My left XC Pro thumbie had a seized bolt from time spent sat outside in the wet. The shifter wouldn't hold any internal friction so it progressively changed into the granny ring, not good. So I had an idea to take it apart for repair - gently warm the alloy body and it'll expand faster than the through bolt. So, in 5 second increments, I warmed it up and tried the bolt, after a few goes - voila, out comes the bolt. As I disassembled the shifter, some of the plastic parts had melted :facepalm: damn. I have rebuilt it with a fibre washer and an o-ring, which held up on a 2 hour ride and normal shifting is restored.

Anyone know how to change the right, rear to indexed from friction? That one does come apart ok :LOL:

SP

Re:

I had exactly the same problem on my L/H XCpro shifter and got around it by adjusting the front mech (xtr M901) to use less spring pressure.
Anyway the R/H one should have some dots by the shift numbers you just need to turn it to the other one.
sorry thats pretty vague, i'll try to find the instructions.

The outer ring should have a number (7/:cool: that needs to line up with the dot on the inner ring; loosen the bolt just a bit, then turn the outer ring.

Back