proflex replacement elastomers

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
hey guys,

i have a 752, the one with the 3 elastomers between the yellow plastic spacers, i need something new in there, i know suspensionforkparts.com do them but they are a bit pricey with the postage and i know people have used other things like car suspension bushes, can anyone point me in the right direction for those?

this is the original thread to show which frame just incase you're not sure which one i'm talking about (also shows how long i have had it and not done anything with it)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=227785

I've just got some Cane Creek Thudbuster elastomers (around £10 each) to replace the gooey mess on the back of my 750 which had 2 sections of elastomer. I've seen these recommended by a few people.
I'll need to drill out the centres to fit the alloy sleeve, and cut them down to the right length though.

Edit: if you have any spare fork elastomers in medium/hard it might be worth playing around with them and see it they'll work. Looking at the Thudbuster ones I have they're not dissimilar from various fork elastomers.

Attachments

• 20181216_155910-764x546.jpg
    20181216_155910-764x546.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 602
This has bothered me for a while but, they are just bits of a plastic type of rubber.

I dont think, from memory that they held any magical properties of suspension, other than to soak up bumps.
If control properties are other than a rubber bumper, with is there only for the main bounce, would not then anything do ?.

I believe that the typical replacement are range rover/landrover shock absorber top bushes from the 1990s. Give brooklyn 4x4 a ring, they're near romsey, will have them on the shelf, and should cost pennies.

They're supposed to be 'firm'... but may suit the larger gentleman?

:)

dyna-ti":3hem9b9j said:
This has bothered me for a while but, they are just bits of a plastic type of rubber.

I dont think, from memory that they held any magical properties of suspension, other than to soak up bumps.
If control properties are other than a rubber bumper, with is there only for the main bounce, would not then anything do ?.

Anything that will fit, yes. The only "tuning" issue is getting the right firmness for your weight.
Ahh.... The simplicity of retro mtb suspension :mrgreen:

Back