BotM December 2018 - Flagship gruppos.....no thankyou!

Re: Re:

PeachyPM":2wu2ubso said:
I thought the idea of the comp was to show some nice tidy low end bikes….. just saying. :xmas-wink:

Nah, not low end bikes, just low end grouppo's

I'm waiting for someone to enter a Merlin Ti with Shimano ALTUS C20 or something :LOL:

PeachyPM":2m7st725 said:
I thought “Deore” was Shimano’s flagship component group name?
If you are thinking the top of that range is the Flagship, then obviously that’s the XTR. So XT,DX & LX are legit?

I thought the idea of the comp was to show some nice tidy low end bikes….. just saying. :xmas-wink:

If you take a complete category of groupsets (e.g. Deore, Altus, Exage) in to account, what with Campa and Suntour? They even didn't have different categories? They just had different groupsets going from cheap to bloody expensive. And what makes it more difficult in that case is that e.g. Altus and Exage didn't exist at the same time.

I believe it's much more easy to consider FLAGSHIP group as the highest available in a certain period (XTR didn't exist before 1992). When I bought my Scott, XT was top of the line. Later it was "only" 2nd.

Maybe the mod. has to decide. ;-)

WimVDD":1i0ijttr said:
PeachyPM":1i0ijttr said:
I thought “Deore” was Shimano’s flagship component group name?
If you are thinking the top of that range is the Flagship, then obviously that’s the XTR. So XT,DX & LX are legit?

If you take a complete category of groupsets (e.g. Deore, Altus, Exage) in to account, what with Campa and Suntour? They even didn't have different categories? They just had different groupsets going from cheap to bloody expensive. And what makes it more difficult in that case is that e.g. Altus and Exage didn't exist at the same time.

I believe it's much more easy to consider FLAGSHIP group as the highest available in a certain period (XTR didn't exist before 1992). When I bought my Scott, XT was top of the line. Later it was "only" 2nd.

Maybe the mod. has to decide. ;-)

Nah... its Christmas, plenty of room in the Inn :xmas-wink:

jimo746":3r9ie6p6 said:
PeachyPM":3r9ie6p6 said:

Nah, not low end bikes, just low end grouppo's

I'm waiting for someone to enter a Merlin Ti with Shimano ALTUS C20 or something :LOL:

:xmas-big-grin: that would be something...

Re:

1998 Orange Clockwork ‘Wonkwork’

Love the theme, great idea!

Concious it has a bit of xt but all the shiny bits are classic Fred Salmon so not exactly Grafton!

That said it’s in hands of the ops!

Build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=345966&start=0

Attachments

• C0DAC7D3-839A-4DD1-9B19-DEDFF4F616FC.jpeg
    C0DAC7D3-839A-4DD1-9B19-DEDFF4F616FC.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 756
  • BC7BDB6B-C76F-4742-94C5-6B5ADC76E614.jpeg
    BC7BDB6B-C76F-4742-94C5-6B5ADC76E614.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 756
Wouldn’t worry about the XT, I’d be more concerned about the age

Don’t want to piss on your chips here but aren’t you a year to new with one of those more modern 1998 rigs :facepalm:

Retro Spud":4immpawi said:
Wouldn’t worry about the XT, I’d be more concerned about the age

Don’t want to piss on your chips here but aren’t you a year to new with one of those more modern 1998 rigs :facepalm:

O but someone said there's enough room in the inn.;-)

Re:

Most of these bikes pre-date XTRs introduction. I consider DX to be pretty high end. It features in regular Botm competitions and came on some pretty expensive bikes. I reckon DX thumbies are fine, but a whole g/s is a bit much for the theme?

Some lovely DX bikes though

Back