Cheap/free late 80s project ideas.

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've got the best part of a MT60 groupset, some wheels too, some MT62/DX bits to make up the gaps, that I was thinking about putting on my Dawes Ranger frame. I was thinking about shelling out for some Nitto bullhorns too. The thing is I think it's too big really. Probably not worth it.

I fancy something chuckable and late 80s to upgrade in vaguely period style. Could even be mid 80s ish - basically I want to put early indexed Shimano kit on an early frame of some sort. Doesn't need to be high end but not gas pipe either. Will probably end up being 7 speed and not exactly authentic but perhaps period upgrade spec?

I liked my Falcon K2. Something like that would be ideal I suppose, but at the time I felt that was too nice and original to mess with. Slightly tempted by the frame below as it's cheap - the first MTB I ever rode was a fairly basic Peugeot and it blew my mind.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Adul ... 3451430439

Also have fond memories of Raleigh Massifs and Montages etc as that's what the rich big boys had when I was 12. My LBS only really sold Raleigh MTBs...

Or an early Giant? Muddy Fox?

20" or thereabouts I suppose. Anyone got or seen anything?

...really I need another project like a hole in the head.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have this lurvely holdsworth frameset buddy everything bar wheels and groupset can be yours for £45 posted....

:xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• holdsworth.jpg
    holdsworth.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 474
Been looking on eBay. Remembered my best mate had a Raleigh Marauder! In fact that's what everyone had when I was a kid (I had a rebuilt 1950s racer - have always been retro).

A Montage would be fun.

But then... Actually... Loads of Muddy Fox Couriers on eBay at the moment... Nice - so iconic.

Re:

Have a Raleigh Mustang full bike or Kona Hannana frame and forks, also have a Raleigh Thunder road Reynolds 531 frame i may be willing to sell if intrested.

Re:

Not 80's but I have this mongoose Iboc sport you could have for £20 posted.

Frame, fork and (original Iboc) stem only.

It's tange MTB tubing (I think), around 18" in size.

Attachments

• Iboc.jpg
    Iboc.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 407
  • Iboc Frame.jpg
    Iboc Frame.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 407
longun":14yoay8u said:
I have this lurvely holdsworth frameset buddy everything bar wheels and groupset can be yours for £45 posted....

:xmas-big-grin:

@longun I could be interested in that...............size? Is it 501?

I'd be looking for a Muddy Fox Courier. They still seem to go for buttons yet I still regard them as the original MTB that really caught the imagination in the UK.

hamster":36prrd4w said:
I'd be looking for a Muddy Fox Courier. They still seem to go for buttons yet I still regard them as the original MTB that really caught the imagination in the UK.

Yep you're right. There's a few on eBay at the moment, none local though. I suppose because they sold so well at the time there are still plenty around. And what happened to the brand later puts people off I guess. My collection is mainly Oranges at the moment, and with the Tushingham connection there's a natural link to Muddy Fox...

I think ideally I'd like a frame or a rough one to upgrade. Although perhaps original spec would be fun...

Yeah I've decided I want a Courier. :)

Thanks all for posting up some decent offers, that Mongoose looks a bargain!

Back