Zaskar LE restoration.

TVS

Retro Newbie
I was looking in the shed and found my old MB, forgot i had it. Zaskar Le 1993 blue anodised frame, needs some TLC, so the plan is to strip it down, restore and rebuild it. It has Shimano XTR, Deore DX, Deore LX stuff, not really sure until I strip it all down. Decals are on order, not sure if I should be restoring everything exactly as it is or whether I should be upgrading stuff as I go.

I remember that the guy I bought it from 20 years ago had spent a shed load of money on it getting all the right stuff, but time moves on, so the question is;

Will I be destroying it's originality and value by messing with it or do classic MB's not have much original value?

I'm more used to classic motor bikes where you wouldn't dream of "upgrading" them.

It’s your bike so don’t be afraid to restore it to meet your own needs and desires, having said that I prefer the ride of a RetroBike and think they should use retro parts.

You’ll be amazed how nicely quality components clean up so I’d restore and use what you have, ride it and decide if you like it.

Get some pics up, we love them here and it’ll allow us to help with anymore questions you have :)

Welcome to RetroBike and yes your GT has value especially if you love it, no greater value than that.

Re:

Thanks, I'll post some pics when I get a minute, I have no idea what size frame it is or where to measure it from, serial number is 10936809 someone told me that the serial number contains the month/year of manufacture (which would be the 1093) any ideas ?

I don’t know about frame numbers for GT’s but that would make sense.
Pics showing decals if original would help date her.

Re: Re:

TVS":dzb816ac said:
serial number is 10936809 someone told me that the serial number contains the month/year of manufacture (which would be the 1093) any ideas ?

yep, thays the way I understand it to work :D
October 1993 frame stamp would suggest its a 1994 model, but as said, piccies win.

Re:

Here come the pics.

Attachments

• 7-Zaskar.jpg
    7-Zaskar.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 581
  • 9-Zaskar.jpg
    9-Zaskar.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 579
  • 8-Zaskar.jpg
    8-Zaskar.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 579
  • 10-Zaskar.jpg
    10-Zaskar.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 579
  • 11.Zaskar.jpg
    11.Zaskar.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 581
  • 6-Zaskar.jpg
    6-Zaskar.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 581
Re:

That frame is absolutely gorgeous. If it was me, I'd do a retro build with retro parts only, but as Minifreak said, make sure you restore it to your own needs.

Keep us posted, I'd like to see the process and the final result.

Stick whatever you want on it.

The rear cable routing makes the rear canti's an arse so v-brakes work better with a bit of jiggling/ wiggling

P2 forks on Zaskars are/ were always a bit iffy depending on their length. The Zaskar from its earliest days had Rock Shox as an option so was always ever so slightly suspension corrected - if 'too short' forks are fitted it lowered the front end leading to a lower bottom bracket and tramline steering. I think 420mm was about right.

Beyond that fit what you like. Some have gone for new 1x10 or 1x11 drivetrains or just later quality bits.

My own was bought in 1993 and by 1995 had Hope hubs/ discs (with a disc adaptor on the rear) and as many toys as I could throw at it.

legrandefromage":8wuymhqn said:
P2 forks on Zaskars are/ were always a bit iffy depending on their length. The Zaskar from its earliest days had Rock Shox as an option so was always ever so slightly suspension corrected - if 'too short' forks are fitted it lowered the front end leading to a lower bottom bracket and tramline steering. I think 420mm was about right.

The 2x4s on my 1991 are 395 a-c and that feels "right" to me. Does anyone know if the geometry changed at all between years?

Re:

If the intention is to ride I`d suggest period risers maybe Club Roost,slightly shorter stem,1st gen v brake set and Z2 Bombers,it would be still in keeping with the Zaskar vibe but it would also completely transform it out on the trails.

Back