Bomber Z2 help, please.

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
I am building a bike for a neighbour's son. My start point is a small frame Orange hardtail which I am swapping from v brake to disc.

This has left me with a "1996" ( v brake only) Bomber Z2 that is in good cosmetic condition but functions poorly. So tonight I thought I would open it up and see if it can be fixed.

Before the light went today I was able to strip down the left leg but I am unsure if I am missing something! I have looked at the Marzocchi .pdf but I am still at a loss.

I found inside the remnants of some red degraded rubber/plastic which I assume is the bump stop. I need to investigate if these are still available/essential.

Upon re-assembly of the left leg,without the bump stop, the spring is not under tension. Is this normal? When the lowers are fitted there is no rattle so I wonder is this where tension is applied?

What surprises me is that between the "pumping element" and spring there is no guide, connector, bush or anything which just seems wrong, but the .pdf also confirms this. Then again the .pdf misses a circlip and bush at the bottom of the leg!

Anyone familiar with the internals if this fork to tell me if anything is missing?

Re:

It has dawned on me that the remnants of the bump stop would still have held the spring under tension before I disassembled it.

So now I need to find a replacement bump stop. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Re:

Looks like the rubber bump stops were soon replaced by a short rebound spring. Looks like I need a pair of them, I have put a wanted add in, hopefully someone will have a pair.

Shame to have to scrap the forks as they are in nice condition considering their age.

Re:

Thanks for the reply Remko, gives me a little more confidence I am heading in the right direction. :)

Back