Wheelies - Who can do them ?

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
As a kid i could get a 20yrder going fairly often on my Raleigh Chopper. That was a Wheelie machine. By my early 20s I was down to maybe 5 yards max. Too scared of trashing the bike and it wasnt a ‘thing’ back then.

Now its a THING big time. Im thinking of trying again :shock: So can anybody do a decent wheelie on their retro ?

Up until 2005 I could pull an almost indefinite wheelie on my ‘97 Giant Boulder (see below in signature) then a child seat got strapped on the back for the first time and stayed there till 2011.... I had a go again latter that year but the skill/balance had gone. Now stuff in my back just wants to complain every time I try! :cry:

Re:

Me and mine used to kick ass at the one wheel antics. I was far from the best of the group but could pretty much keep on going for as long as I liked.
(if only that was the case these days)

I seem to have lost the nack but I'm hoping that when I work up a bit more strength in my upper body that will help with the balance

:LOL: great thread.. can't remember the last time I tried for fear of twanging summet in me back :oops:

Re:

Yikes....we have lost ‘IT’ by the sounds of it. :facepalm: Anybody adapted a retro to make it more of a Wheelie machine ? Im thinking a model with short stays, wide bars, shorter stem than was typical bitd etc

Re:

I could wheelie pretty well on my BMX but am crap on 26".
Last time it tried, just mucking about whilst waiting for a mate to turn up i went over the back whilst clipped in and knocked myself out and ended up in A&E on the Mrs Birthday :facepalm: She was not a happy bunny :LOL:

Was out with a couple of mates yesterday morning on the MTB's; I still attempt wheelies whenever the opportunity arises, usually any uphill section where I'm in a low gear!

I'm not bragging or out :mrgreen: but I'm really quite nifty at 1-handed wheelies, which usually raises a cheer :LOL:

90's bike. 90's tricks.

I love wheelies. I did my first non-handed wheelie back in 94. my personal fave are no footed manuals. wheelied down the forrest gump road section into monument valley 2years ago, thats my most memorable wheelie ever

I still attempt them at my age 47 still rubbish .5 yards max
But always pulled off nice bunny hops at speed..
though less inclined these days due to knackered back..

Re:

Ho Jeez... only just learned to ride no handed again & definitely a member of the knackered back club! :facepalm:

Back