Bullet Bros ZZYZX damper problem

@dalbyinthe90s

Dirt Disciple
Hi RB guys, I have a really nice set of used 96/97 bullet bros ZZYZX forks (begging me to be put a mountain cycle san andreas build :D ).

But the forks have a very annoying bit of vertical free play. When riding, this causes a minor clunk/knocking sound every time the forks move up or down. It's a similar sound and feeling that you'd get on a rear end if it had badly worn out linkage bearings.

I've traced it to the damper, which has about 1mm of free play in either direction before resistance is felt (other than that it's like new, with no dead spots at all in the damping stroke). I hope ive explained this OK.

The big issue is the damper is completely sealed - there looks to be no way in at all. :?

Anyone have any experience with this or any helpful advice please?

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 565
There was a lot of hype when then fork was released but it was a major disappointment due to design flaws and build quality issues. Having said that, they look awesome and I have been tempted to get a set.

So I don’t have any specific info on how to resolve your problem but if it was my fork I would be finding a way to disassemble and be making friends with the happy owner of a lathe to help machine some improved + serviceable replacement parts.

The fork rode horribly when new and parts are obviously going to be hard to locate...can you retro fit some other parts in their ie a modern boxxer cartridge?

Seals and bushes are going to be difficult.

JJW501":2ws1u60x said:
There was a lot of hype when then fork was released but it was a major disappointment due to design flaws and build quality issues. Having said that, they look awesome and I have been tempted to get a set.

So I don’t have any specific info on how to resolve your problem but if it was my fork I would be finding a way to disassemble and be making friends with the happy owner of a lathe to help machine some improved + serviceable replacement parts.

The fork rode horribly when new and parts are obviously going to be hard to locate...can you retro fit some other parts in their ie a modern boxxer cartridge?

Seals and bushes are going to be difficult.

Yeah, I was a mechanic at my local bike shop when we ordered a set of the very first ones for a customer. At the time we thought they looked insane but weren't as smooth as other DH forks we'd had.

My set are in amazing condition - barely a mark except for the stickers, which can easily be replaced. They were mega easy to strip for cleaning and show hardly any use. Fortunately my bushings and seals are almost like new.

But I do reckon that the seals/bushings/lubrication are where they should have been designed better for a smoother action and for coping with British winters.

Anyway, the idea is to build a mountain cycle san andreas with these on just cos they look rad - I'm not bothered about good performance, as long as they don't clunk LOL.

If I could get the set that SP has alerted me to I'll have a spare damper and I can try to sort something with the current one, like you say.

There might just be some air in the cartridge that needs to be eliminated. Can you post some pics of the cartridge?

Back