Rotating Rivnut Removal?

Re: Re:

ishaw":3mty3pf1 said:
Good luck. I was surprised the blade worked tbh, hopefully the bolt is not siezed.

Be careful not to mark the frame, tape is your friend.

Yep, plenty of releasing spray, plenty of tape and hopefully plenty of concentration and patience :?

Re:

For the downtube, you could try one of these oil filter removers with a small hole in the band to slip over the allen key
bolt (if the head is not too big you may have enough contact area to stop it turning, otherwise you will have the pain
of filling the head down to a smaller size).

Good luck.

Attachments

• Oil Filter Wrench.jpg
    Oil Filter Wrench.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 178
Is it seat tube or down tube?

If seat simple. Long metal tube down inside to press on rivnut ? Obviously both need to come out if it’s bottom one.

Those metal broom/mop handles? That kind of thing.

The History Man":1opqoxgi said:
Is it seat tube or down tube?

If seat simple. Long metal tube down inside to press on rivnut ? Obviously both need to come out if it’s bottom one.

Those metal broom/mop handles? That kind of thing.

I would give this a 1% chance of working and a considerable more chance of doing frame damage.

A riv nut on a bike frame is typically some soft AL and round - just like a pop rivet (not hexagonal); so having a
sufficient grip by just applying a down force to it's smooth side is a tall order. It will spin around. The problem
is due to corrosion on the bolt and riv nut inside the frame, the longer the bolt and riv nut the chances of
more bonded corrosion increases, and hence more force will be required to remove the bolt.

What you want is to try and preserve the riv nut in position; at least to start with.

Attempting to drill it out will most likely make it spin more and start to enlarge the hole in the frame which
will make a subsequent riv nut be loose fitting. There is also a real world problem of having enough space for
the drill and drill bit to position it on axis.

The best advice above was to carefully Dremel the sides, fold the edges and punch it out; personally, that
would be my next to last resort for a AL frame. The last resort would be to weld it in place!

I have seen whacked out advice of using super glue - how that can be applied properly to
an unaccessible part and not making a mess is a mystery. I wouldn't trust super glue on Ti, Steel or AL, especially
not knowing if the parts I want bonding are either oily, rusty or corroded.

BTW the OPs problem is the down-tube.

Attachments

• riv nut.jpg
    riv nut.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 172
'Rotating Rivnut Removal' is actually the name of my next album.

Anyway, this is/ was common at the bike shop and my method given the tools available was to gently lift the rivnut with a thin blade and grab it with some high quality pliers. Undoing the allen bolt was normally pretty easy after that. Then the rivnut was replaced.

Re:

And the help keeps coming. WOW. My thanks again to everyone and I'm sure I'll
get the job done tomorrow when the title of this topic will change to 'Remove, Repair, Replace'.

By the way LGF, when's your album due for release and can I blag a comp ticket to the launch party? :cool:

We need time lapsed pictures of your progress, plus a mp3 sound file of your best swearing ;)

➡️ the mp3 will be useful for song intros on LGFs album :!:

Back