Rotating Rivnut Removal?

michael franks

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Good evening Retrobike. I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to replace the bottle cage mounts which still have the bolt inserted. Turning the bolt turns the rivnut as well. I've squirted releasing spray at them to no effect. Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks for your help.

have you tried tightening the rivnut? you can easily make your own rivnut tool (check youtube).

to remove. first check theres a big enough exit/ breather hole in your frames bottom bracket or headtube, to get the rivnut out. then using thick tape around the area of the rivnut. then very carefully cut a cross (2 cuts) into the face of the rivnut, obviously being careful not to cut into the downtube. if you have very steady hands you can use a dremel cutting disc. you dont have to cut all the way, just thin enough that with a flat blade screw driver you can fold the cut edges of the rivnut in on itself, until the rivnut falls into the downtube. which is why its important to check you can get the rivnut out before you start! its easier than it sounds, just take your time

ah so the bolt is stuck in the rivnut? tape the frame off. put an allen key in the bolt to stop it rotating. then hacksaw the head of the bolt off. that would leave you with a flush face, to cut the rivnut

I think the first thing I need to do is to get the bolt(s) out of the rivnut(s) and then look at options. For instance with the bolt out I could then insert a longer bolt with a nut on it and then with an allen key to prevent the bolt rotating, wind the nut in to try and tighten the rivnut so that it does what it's supposed to do. Hey presto, jobs a good'un :cool:

i've had this exact situation before. if the rivnut is loose & the bolt is seized in the rivnut, its a lot faster just to remove the whole rivnut & replace with new.

Re:

Maybe i got lucky when I had a similar issue. Managed to slip a Stanley blade between the frame and the riv nut, then used it to stop the riv nut moving and the bolt unscrewed.

Re:

Many thanks to scant, woz and ishaw for your excellent advice. I'm pretty sure I can now repair or replace the offending rivnuts. I'll probably substitute the 'front mech clamp' with a jubilee clip as the nuts are on the down tube which is aluminium and fatter than 34.9mm. The 'tightening tool' is pretty much what I tried to describe earlier in the thread. I wondered if I could get a blade in between the nut and the bolt head or possibly a small screwdriver and now I know it's possible so thanks for that Ian. I'm working tomorrow but hopefully I'll be able to attack the problem on Sunday. Thanks again.

Re:

Good luck. I was surprised the blade worked tbh, hopefully the bolt is not siezed.

Be careful not to mark the frame, tape is your friend.

Back