Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:38 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I was wondering if anyone has attempted this before I guess there maybe some upper crowns that may share the same dimensions perhaps in 30 or 32mm and would need shims fitted

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Interesting idea... the main hurdle I would see is the fact that whilst you could find an old 28mm stanchion double crown assembly, Manitou had changed their approach to bushings from Manitou4 to Mach5 so the bushings interface between a newer dual crown upper stanchion assembly and the old Manitou 3 lowers wouldn't be compatible. Also the distance between the legs (center to center) wouldn't be compatible which would mean at the very least you would need to have custom upper braces machined. In theory possible, but a lot of tinkering and custom machining necessary (probably not worth it in the grand scheme of things).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:28 pm 
Retro Guru

Way back when the 4's and EFCs were out there was a company (90ish% sure it was AC) did a triple crown conversion.
There was a set built up in the UK using the EFC with bolt thru lowers, I rode it on an early LTS so that's have been 1995?! iirc
Always wanted a set but haven't ever been able to find anything about them, to be honest though the technology massively moved on and other than to look at I wouldn't bother now. The Dorado and X Vert Carbons actually had pretty good internals and could be setup to work really nicely.