Syncros 89 or USE ti 89 advice

right....I think I ought to go over to 'how much is this worth'. This later one is 70gbp:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seatpost-SYN ... :rk:2:pf:0

I think I am gong to sell one or the other, since I just don't want a really nice thing just lying around making me feel guilty.....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
2manyoranges":gyz3vzt0 said:
right....I think I ought to go over to 'how much is this worth'. This later one is 70gbp:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seatpost-SYN ... :rk:2:pf:0

I think I am gong to sell one or the other, since I just don't want a really nice thing just lying around making me feel guilty.....

The one you linked isnt Ti and its an unusual size. You have a Ti one in a common size and full length :) i would think on a good day nearer £100.

mark

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

oops forgot...as per earlier post, did USE really only start making rigid posts in 1991? In which case, who first used the seat clamp design which I now always associate with USE? Thomson?

https://www.merlincycles.com/blog/brand ... n-thomson/

apparently not...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5649738A/en

And goodness some digging to find the history of USE - Ultimate Sports Engineering....

USE, full name Ultimate Sports Engineering, was founded by Richard Sparrow in 1990 and focuses primarily on aerodynamic products, it has carved a bit of a niche for itself with its aero handlebars and time trial extension bars. It also produces wheels, seatposts and handlebars. But the company’s smart move was getting into LED lights in 2001 when this technology was in its infancy, and since then Exposure Lights has been a runaway success story. Designed and manufactured in the UK, its high-powered LED lights are highly praised with their smart design (no cables or external batteries) functionality and durability.

So indeed it looks like Syncros were there first with the two bolt clamp, albeit with a single top piece rather than the two small 'bridge clamps' of the USE.

From WIKIPEDIA:

Among Syncros' most successful and well known products from their early Canadian period were the Cattleprod and Cattlehead stems, noted for their innovative used of shaped and machined aluminum and titanium at a time when most welded stems were made of steel, and the ProSeries seatpost, featuring an often-copied two-bolt micro-adjust system for saddle positioning. The seat post design, as copied by such companies as Thomson, remains popular today on high end bicycles.

Oh well, that kept my mind off whether to put the Syncros or the USE in the Marin Ti....I'll sleep on it....

Re:

Mkone - sorry I should have said...

the USE one is 400mm and Ti...

the Syncros one is 425 and Aluminium...

(and when my son and I found the Syncros yesterday in a long-forgotten box of bits in the store, there was a USE 400mm Ali one in with it...)

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":2yug9igy said:
Mkone - sorry I should have said...
the Syncros one is 425 and Aluminium...

ah, that knocks the price down a bit, condition is the main seller with that one.

Re:

Old School Master - many thanks for the link - the Syncros here is the one on the far left - series 1......
Really helpful, many thanks.

oh...condition...I'd say 'lightly used' not quite NOS, with a bit of fading at the insertion end where the post has been in and out of the frame....

If its the one on the left, the first post, then i should imagine that it will generate some interest on here. Could even fetch a high price, there are quite a few collectors in Canada who would be interested im sure :)

mark

Back