Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:18 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Am I being daft or...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:57 pm 
Retro Guru

...am I remembering it right that there's some kind of issue with using parallel push V-brakes back to front?

I've got a pair of Pace RC36 Evos to fit to my C16R. Currently brakes are XT M750. Any reason not to put them on the back of the forks as the bosses are currently set?

Or for that matter any reason not to use the Paces the "normal" way with the brakes on the front?

In all likelihood this will look obvious when I try it, but it doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:04 am 
Old School Grand Master

basically the pads should enter at the rear, so when you brake hard the pads arent forced out of the front of holders & suddenly you have no brakes

for the winter of 98 when i used pace rc36 proclass forks (the stanchions worn out by spring) I ran the brake bosses around the front

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:26 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Am I missing something here?
Surely with the pads you just mount them the correct way round, with open end facing to rear, depending on whether brakes are on the front or back?
You would do that anyway in the normal use of V-brakes with the front brakes facing forward and the rears facing back, you change orientation of pads accordingly.

The rear V-brake is mounted in normal usage on rear of seat stay so putting the front V-brake on back of Pace fork would make no difference to how they work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:24 am 
Old School Grand Master

^^^^ Correct. The only difference between the front and rear brakes is that the pads are mounted the other way around. So the pad slides onto the holder from the back.

I've got xtr vs mounted on the back of my pace forks. Have had since the day i bought them (except for the time i had discs on there!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:20 am 
Retro Guru

Thanks guys. I think I must be going slightly mad.

I thought I remembered reading something regarding Thorn Nomad (touring bike) forks a few years back - i.e. that parallel push v-brakes weren's suitable due to their reversed brake bosses, but I think I must have imagined it.

I couldn't think of any logical reason why it wouldn't work (pad direction aside) but just wanted to check...

Anyway, good news that my old brakes will work fine with my new forks so thanks for clearing that up!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:27 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

You might be thinking of the Pederson canti brakes, they were front and rear specific due to their action of forcing the brake onto the rim further, so to run on reverse mounts up front, you needed to use a rear brake.

For vs you just swap the pads round.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I think the confusion arises from the problems with fitting normal cantis and v-brakes on the back of a Pace fork.

Because the boss position is well off a radial line from dropout to rim, the brake shoe needs to be set off-parallel with the axis of the boss:
Attachment:
3964417858_52b47d7b3a_b.jpg
3964417858_52b47d7b3a_b.jpg [ 38.05 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

Consequently, when you brake, the front tips of the brake pads travel further than the rear tips as the brake arms rotate around the boss.
This makes even, reliable braking difficult to set up: Either the pads are set parallel when open and only the front tips touch when braking, or the pads are set with a flare at the front when open, braking is better, but the rear tips need to be very close to the rim, and the set up is prone to squealing and judder when braking.

With the parallel action v-brakes (or the Maguras that Pace originally used) this is not a problem.

Front mounted brakes have far less of this problem, with straight rake forks being almost parallel.
Attachment:
download.jpg
download.jpg [ 9.26 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

Attachment:
img_3082.jpg
img_3082.jpg [ 21.94 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

All the best,