Current titanium frame repair reccomendations

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi, my ti Kona has a stuffed BB shell, it was previously repaired with a steel sleeve which has now failed. :evil:

I’ll give Enigma and Vernon Barker a call on Monday. Who else is up to the job?

SP

Re:

I've investigated something similar fairly recently. My conclusion was:

Vernon will do an agricultural job which may or may not stand the test of time.

Enigma are equipped to do a proper repair.

In my case I have a possible crack in a drive side chain stay. Vernons approach to fixing it was a big was weld that in their words would not be pretty but should work. The enigma approach was to replace both stays and anything else as needed.

Of course there was a huge price difference, so much so that I could (and did) buy a second hand ti frame much cheaper than the enigma repair quote.

I may still get my frame repaired but I'd rather know it will be fixed than potentially fail again.

I did contact some local (to me) companies too, but none were interestwd enough to even reply.

If your frame is worth saving, enigma is probably the best place I've found to get a repair, but at a cost you may find uneconomical. To their credit they also offered me a discount on a selection of their own frames but I couldn't justify spending so much at the time.

I hope you find a solution. Good luck.

Re:

Thanks for the replies.

It will be a huge job to repair with a corresponding huge bill I expect. Upon reflection I may think about it for a while before committing.

It took me ages to find a HHKK in 19”, so I can’t imagine one will pop up any time soon. It is my daily rider - and is the sweetest handling retro I’ve ever had. However, it isn’t my only Kona so while it is relegated I may actually ride the others!

SP

Re:

If It is just the bb shell that needs replacing, thats a simpler job than I needed done so may not be that expensive via enigma.

I wish I'd got details of the guy who bought my Gary Fisher Prometheus off me at Sheffield Cycle Jumble. He buys damaged titanium frames and repairs them. If anyone sees the Prometheus come up for sale it might be worth asking the seller about his repairs.

Back