Dawes Kingpin meets 90s MTB bits...

I love this. I intended to build up a Kingpin after I finished my R20, but it will have to wait now until I have space to build bikes again.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you build it up and comparing any issues to the Twenty issues - hopefully there should be fewer, with the more sensible threading.

What size is the seat post?

kingoffootball":3rv5i9uo said:
I love this. I intended to build up a Kingpin after I finished my R20, but it will have to wait now until I have space to build bikes again.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you build it up and comparing any issues to the Twenty issues - hopefully there should be fewer, with the more sensible threading.

What size is the seat post?

So far it's been relatively straight forward! New forks will have solved axle and brake reach issues on the front though...

Seatpost is 28.6, seatpost clamp 31.6.

Thanks all for the positive comments. I'd be on working it now if it wasn't so drizzly in the back garden! Maybe I'll go clean up some bits in the shed...

BTW - if you haven't already come across it, raleightwenty(.com) is a great forum for information and customising ideas.

Nearly there!

Only minor issue so far was the back brake... hadn't realised I'd need to put the pinch bolt/adjuster on back to front following swapping them round. Works fine now though.

Also not 100% sure whether the brake levers (Dia-Compe Power Control 7 EXA) are cantilever/caliper or v-brake specific, although they have adjustable pull so hopefully will work well enough. Front brake feels good, back one seems a bit on/off. We'll see.

Really pleased with how it's looking and having now sat on it it feels great. Riding position seems really good which is a pretty lucky break.

:mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSCF9610.jpg
    DSCF9610.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 436
  • DSCF9613.jpg
    DSCF9613.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 436
  • DSCF9612.jpg
    DSCF9612.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 435
  • DSCF9607.jpg
    DSCF9607.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 436
Yeah.....lovin' this. After riding my std Twenty in a couple of times to work last week I can see that a modified one is going to be a huge amount of fun to ride.

Looking at saddle/stem heights I take it you're fairly tall? (at 6'2" I can't get the std saddle high enough on the Twenty!)

Re:

How do you find the pedal ground clearance? I remember reading somewhere that in addition to the extra brake reach it could be problem when changing to smaller BMX size wheels.

Got half an hour today to put a chain on it and roughly set up the gears and brakes. Took it out on a ride with my daughter. The build has ended up pretty light and the Kingpin is very agile and fun to ride. It also appears comfy. As my ride partner was an eight year old girl I didn't exactly get to push it, but initial impressions are positive.

Only one issue really and that's a lack of clearance for the chain, which rubs against the inside of the seat stay in top gear. Plan A is to swap the chainring to the inside of the crank arms and hope that a tweak to the chainline is enough to stop it fouling. If that doesn't work then plan B would be to re-space the rear axle so that there's a bit more room on the drive side. Of course I'd need to re-dish the the wheel too. But one way or another I should be able to make it work.

Other thoughts...The front brake works brilliantly, rear is pretty hopeless. On the plus side I think that proves that the levers are not V-brake only. I guess the rear is partly "what it is" - a large, flexy caliper and a long cable run. But I'm hoping that part of it is the rubbish original pads - rock hard, and due to their shape making minimal contact with the rim. I might swap them for some better V-brake type pads.

Gearing is currently a bit short for my taste and the local terrain, made worse by the chain rub which means I avoid using top gear. It would climb just about any hill as set-up, but ideally I'd probably have a bigger chainring on the front for a good spread of ratios. It can be had up to a decent speed by spinning the pedals, but given the small wheels you basically want as big as possible at the front and as small as possible at the back...

xerxes":3uvixhuf said:
How do you find the pedal ground clearance? I remember reading somewhere that in addition to the extra brake reach it could be problem when changing to smaller BMX size wheels.

Well, it's not been an issue so far. Pedals are a bit close to the ground by comparison with an MTB but for pootling around it's not likely to be an issue. The plus is a low standover height which combined with the step-through frame make it a very easy thing to use.

sherlylock":3uvixhuf said:
Yeah.....lovin' this. After riding my std Twenty in a couple of times to work last week I can see that a modified one is going to be a huge amount of fun to ride.

Looking at saddle/stem heights I take it you're fairly tall? (at 6'2" I can't get the std saddle high enough on the Twenty!)

I'm just under 6'. As set-up in the previous pictures the saddle was a bit high, although thanks to the low standover height it was perfectly ridable. Fits about right in the picture above, bars are on the high side but give a nice upright position for town riding. If I was on a longer trip I'd probably adjust the stem to get the bars down and forward. Quite doable.

Incidentally the bars were super cheap Chinese jobs off ebay and I'm impressed. They're light, stiff and appear well made. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302845180293

Attachments

• Photo0492.jpg
    Photo0492.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 377
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I know the hunt for huge chainrings - I think everyone who's seen my Stowaway has commented on the chainring, but the hearing still isn't as high as I'd like.

It sounds like the riding position it good, I wondered whether it would be too upright, but having that adjustable stem should help.

I could also do with an even longer seat post on my bike. It's rideable, but would be slightly comfier for longer distance another inch higher.

Did some tinkering today. Set up the gears a bit nicer - the cable was too slack and I was using one of the "extra clicks" on the thumbshifter. It's a six speed XT shifter, but seems to effectively have 8 positions. I knew about using 7sp thumbies with 8 speed but the 2 extra clicks on this came as a surprise.

Swapped the chainring to the middle position on the crankset. It resulted in a better chainline (and nicer shifting?) with the 115mm BB I used but didn't stop the chain rubbing against the seat stay in top gear. So now it's either re-space the axle (and dish the wheel) or replace the 6 speed freewheel with a narrower 5 speed one. I could swap the bits over from my daughter's bike. Don't much fancy the hassle of re-dishing etc.

Also changed the rear pads for some generic v-brake ones. Much better feel as they make decent contact with the rim, but still fairly poor stopping power. Oh well.

Back