Retro hybrids

ultrazenith":2p8wqx96 said:
I'd just been wondering whether it's possible to build a "gravel bike" on the cheap using a retro hybrid, and this thread seems to confirm it's possible!

Names aside, is there any difference between the two? "Gravel bikes" sound like a marketing innovation to me. A good way to sell more hybrids. But on the plus side there does seem to be a massive choice of 700c tyres available these days...

The cynic in me says the same as you - isn't a gravel bike pretty much a cross between a hybrid and a 90s mtb, depending in the brand? The answer seems to be yes, from what I can tell. Which means you could build a workable gravel bike for around 100-150 quid using a hybrid (or touring?) frame with retro mtb components. I'm not sure how the brakes/shifters would work with the MTB drivetrain, but there must be a work around. I might even do it just to annoy my local fashion victims...

Re:

Completely agree. Hybrid bike, gravel bike, trekking bike, even commuter bike - there's not a lot of difference: tyre choice is probably the biggest difference.

I've used my '96 Marin Stinson (just like the one in the eBay link a few posts back) as a gravel/trekking bike for years. It's currently got V brakes, a MTB cassette, CX tyres (700 X 3:cool: and bar ends for when I want a more forwards position - and that's it. Works a treat. The only real downsides are: no disc brakes and lateral flex around the bottom bracket due to the skinny steel tubes.

You just need a suitable frame that's comfortable for you. Obviously, if you go for drop bars on what was intended to be a flat bar bike, it will be more work but far from impossible: there are plenty of drop bar MTBs on here. Personally, I'm happy with just the bar ends.

Diamondback Overdrive is a cool retro mtb enthusiast's hybrid.

file.php

There's lots of good ones. I'd shoot for something steel around 1989-92 and Asian in origin, myself. There were quite a lot of them loaded with stuff like Araya, Tioga, DX, XT etc.

I'd quite like a 1990 Shogun Ground Breaker, the top model was XT and Tange Prestige with a U-brake on the rear.

We turned my old cx bike (ex Nick Craig bike) into a hybrid, 853 frame, mixture of xt/xtr and ultegra parts. Plus some decent road wheels (ultegra/open pro and/or some crappy shimanos)
Mainly to tow the kids in their trailer. Dismantled it once they got too big for the trailer as we had no need for it. Had guards on it for a while as well.

Latest posts

Back