Need help using a VAR Fork threading tool

You don’t need to, you can make one! :D

Drill out and re-thread the old grub screw hole to the next size up, file/chamfer the end of the new larger size screw at 45degrees, then use this new screw to push the die open so that it doesn’t cut so deep.

(Yeah I know it’s quicker to type than to do) :LOL:

I'm trying to thread a threadless fork. Maybe that's the problem? There was no thread on it when I got it and it came with a threadless headset.

I've just looked back at your photos and think I've noticed something.

So I've marked up one of your photos to explain my thoughts. I can see in another photo that the grub screw hole is at 90 degrees to the handle, but it looks like you have the adjustable slot in the wrong place in line with the screw-in handle.

We've already istablished that this photo shows the die upside down, I think you now need to clock it 90 degrees so the slot not the V lines up with the grubscrew.

(I hope that makes sence)

Ps I believe the V groove is for closing the die and the slot is for opening.

Attachments

• 1-s-l1600.jpg
    1-s-l1600.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 166
you still need a cone set screw to adjust the gap in the split to obtain the correct sizing! the part labelled A on the die is just to stop it rotating in the holder. Or alternatively the die is not really a split die but a broken thread cleaning die that should have no split expander.

mdvineng":9oqt57yu said:
you still need a cone set screw to adjust the gap in the split to obtain the correct sizing! the part labelled A on the die is just to stop it rotating in the holder. Or alternatively the die is not really a split die but a broken thread cleaning die that should have no split expander.

Absolutely, a cone set screw is the way to go, I just think (looking at these photos) that the handle screw is in the split.

The problem if I turn the die 90 degrees is that there is nothing to stop the die from rotating when I use it. There needs to be a screw in the V groove to stop it from rotating.

The other thing is the diameter of the grub screw is much larger than the diameter of the V groove screw. The grub screw is 2 or 3 time larger. I think the grub screw is meant to be adjusted by removing the die, adjusting the screw, then putting the die back in the holder. The problem is that the grub screw is somewhat loose in the die and rotating it has no effect as far as expanding the die.

I'm not sure what a conical screw would do because there is nothing for the cone to push onto.

I did flip the die and use it in the proper direction, with the info (1-1/8 and 26 tpi) facing the other way than on the photo, towards the steerer tube when in use.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back