What bar width?

Re:

Ridiculous! The pro tapers on my Honda CRM250 are only 800mm. Anybody who's read Guy Martins book will know what happens when your bars are too wide.

Most people in that poll are probably using 40mm stems though. I'm running 600mm/100mm on my retro and 740mm/70mm on my modern but I'm tempted to try a shorter stem on my modern or chop the bars to 700mm.

It's interesting to note that the wider bar fad has extended to BMX, but if you watch the riders they're now using wider grips as well and have their hands inboard so they essentially have their hands in the same position as say five years ago. Another example of the cycle industry introducing new standards that no one asked for...?

I love wide bars and short stems personally - but then I have arms like a chimp. I once fitted a set of BMX handlebars and stem to a retro ride that was slightly too small and it was great. Pure sit up and beg position - and it did look like an oversized BMX.

Re:

I have 800mm bars with a 50mm stem on my modern bike. Tried a 35mm stem but it pushed the bars too far back with 51mm offset forks and spoiled the handling.

I find them really comfy and they're probably the biggest single factor in ruining my enjoyment of riding retro. 10 years ago when my widest were 640mm the 580mm standard didn't seem on another planet. :facepalm:

I find the length of stem makes a big difference. BITD i always had 135. Wouldn't go near it now. Must be i'm getting old? no longer than 90

Re:

90? Didn’t realise they still made stems that long :)
Agree that finding suitably wide, correct looking bars hampers how much I ride my STS. Have the original bars, stem and bar ends on it and can’t bear to change to a modern looking set up.

Re: Re:

clubby":35cudasq said:
90? Didn’t realise they still made stems that long :)
Yeah, i snapped a stem 5 or 6 years ago, popped into the shop to get a replacement, ended up with a road stem. Unless i wanted to put a 70mm stem on a head down, arse up (modern) race HT...... :/

Ordered a proper stem once i got the chance.

Back