Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:43 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:28 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

You don’t need to, you can make one! :D

Drill out and re-thread the old grub screw hole to the next size up, file/chamfer the end of the new larger size screw at 45degrees, then use this new screw to push the die open so that it doesn’t cut so deep.

(Yeah I know it’s quicker to type than to do) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:47 am 
Dirt Disciple

I'm trying to thread a threadless fork. Maybe that's the problem? There was no thread on it when I got it and it came with a threadless headset.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:56 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I've just looked back at your photos and think I've noticed something.

So I've marked up one of your photos to explain my thoughts. I can see in another photo that the grub screw hole is at 90 degrees to the handle, but it looks like you have the adjustable slot in the wrong place in line with the screw-in handle.

We've already istablished that this photo shows the die upside down, I think you now need to clock it 90 degrees so the slot not the V lines up with the grubscrew.

(I hope that makes sence)

Ps I believe the V groove is for closing the die and the slot is for opening.

Attachments:
1-s-l1600.jpg
1-s-l1600.jpg [ 235.9 KiB | Viewed 99 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:13 am 
Retro Guru

you still need a cone set screw to adjust the gap in the split to obtain the correct sizing! the part labelled A on the die is just to stop it rotating in the holder. Or alternatively the die is not really a split die but a broken thread cleaning die that should have no split expander.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:29 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

mdvineng wrote:
you still need a cone set screw to adjust the gap in the split to obtain the correct sizing! the part labelled A on the die is just to stop it rotating in the holder. Or alternatively the die is not really a split die but a broken thread cleaning die that should have no split expander.

Absolutely, a cone set screw is the way to go, I just think (looking at these photos) that the handle screw is in the split.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:43 am 
Dirt Disciple

The problem if I turn the die 90 degrees is that there is nothing to stop the die from rotating when I use it. There needs to be a screw in the V groove to stop it from rotating.

The other thing is the diameter of the grub screw is much larger than the diameter of the V groove screw. The grub screw is 2 or 3 time larger. I think the grub screw is meant to be adjusted by removing the die, adjusting the screw, then putting the die back in the holder. The problem is that the grub screw is somewhat loose in the die and rotating it has no effect as far as expanding the die.

I'm not sure what a conical screw would do because there is nothing for the cone to push onto.

I did flip the die and use it in the proper direction, with the info (1-1/8 and 26 tpi) facing the other way than on the photo, towards the steerer tube when in use.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:41 am 
Retro Guru

here is a VAR die for sale on ebay, seems they use a taper thread set screw to adjust the size of the die. so all is correct.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-vintage- ... :rk:6:pf:0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:41 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

mdvineng wrote:
here is a VAR die for sale on ebay, seems they use a taper thread set screw to adjust the size of the die. so all is correct.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-vintage- ... :rk:6:pf:0

Yup, ignore my crap then. maybe the tapered set screw is just not up to the job/too loose to start with?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:06 pm 
Geoff Capes

Park Tool Procedure.. :|
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... with-fts-1

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:03 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Graham_hkr wrote:

It's a great tutorial however the tool I use does not have an adjustment screw so the multi pass process they describe is not possible with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next