Need help using a VAR Fork threading tool

^^
Much as you usually use a die with the open (die-side) onto your shaft first, and the shoulder on the die-stock stops the die pushing out, this is often not the case with a fork die. The "tube" on the steerer die stock in this case should guide the die onto the steerer. QED, you "should" make sure that the die is "upside down", so it leads in properly.

elite504":15dy2bbu said:
^^
Much as you usually use a die with the open (die-side) onto your shaft first, and the shoulder on the die-stock stops the die pushing out, this is often not the case with a fork die. The "tube" on the steerer die stock in this case should guide the die onto the steerer. QED, you "should" make sure that the die is "upside down", so it leads in properly.

Thank you. That's part of what I missed and didn't know.

Well here is an update on the VAR fork threading tool. I gave it a try using all the advice you all gave me and I was able to thread part of the fork steerer. This fork is too long and will have to be cut so even if the thread is not perfect It will have to be cut. All went well once I got the hang of it. The problem is when I try to thread the headset nut on the newly cut thread it feels loose and wobbles a bit from side to side. Not sure if this is normal or if the thread is not cut correctly. Maybe it is cut too deep, or too narrow? Is there a way to check that? Maybe the spacing on the die is not set correctly? Let me know what your think. Thanks!

Sounds like the tool has a cut a little too deep, this could’ve avoided if you had the correct adjusting grub screw which would open out the die. It should still work though as a locking nut should still be able to stop the threaded top cup from coming lose. You could also try wrapping around/packing out the thread with PTFE plumbers tape.

Just maybe you should have done some homework before starting on this venture, like how to cut threads and what and how to set the split die to obtain the correct size thread diameter!

so going forward you will need the diameter of the current grub screw and the Thread pitch, now search for a cone point set screw (grub) like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONE-POINT-G ... 1118702618

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back