Groupset complete or not when using an upgraded cassette ?

mezzanine

Retro Guru
This is for 9 speed personally but could refer to 8 speed too.

So I have a complete NOS LX groupset. Are there rules I'm not aware of as cassettes all look the same don't they :D Is it okay to use a XT cassette on a nearly complete LX group or would you try to keep it all LX and find a LX CS-HG70-9 or go the easy route and fit a better performing lighter XT CS-M960 or CS-M770 cassette????

These things keep me up at night.

So...it probably depends also on the group set. I.e fitting a CS-M737 to a full M900 XTR groupset might upset a few

Anyone else gone through the easy route and let it go keeping cassettes true to the core even on LX!

Re:

This is absolutely not something worth worrying about. As long as the chain is not too wide for the derailleur (unlikely) and the derailleur is long enough to take up the slack in the chain (bigger range, longer cage) it doesn't matter - presuming you just want to ride the bike rather than admire the consistency of the groupset.

There again, I might be an uncivilised and tasteless barbarian: I use modern, SRAM cassettes with retro Shimano derailleurs. And if the SRAM cassettes don't last as long as XT ones, I'll just buy more new ones. Shifting is just fine. :D

Re:

Cassettes and chains are consumable items. Use whatever you need imho. Unless you are doing a nut and bolt, cable and pad catalogue build of course, but are you building a museum piece or a rider?

It's never been unusual in the racing world to use a cassette and chain from a lower groupset. I mean, my "full" m95x equipped race bike has never had an xtr level chain or cassette on it. Currently got an old sram 990 on it i think.
Same for my Dura ace equipped road bike, ultegra cassette is the highest I've ever gone.

Half the price, 99.9% of the performance, 150% of the durability, and only slightly heavier. What's not to like?

Cassettes don`t all look the same. However, if you get the next model from the same era nobody will notice.

I have a similar dilemma, a bike with a almost complete 8 speed LX groupset. The existing cassette is not an LX, and i can tell. It`s some lower grade stuff. I would like to complete the set if possible. It`s not necessary, but i`m slowly becoming a freak when it comes to matching parts. Maybe i should be working in a musem, i don`t know.

As long as you`re shopping anyway, why not get an LX and complete the set? Bikes with mismatched parts are everywhere, bikes with full groupsets are rare. Besides, in your case the LX cassette might actually be better than the XT, as far as reliability goes. When it comes to old bikes, saving 30 grams is irrelevant, that`s not what the hobby is about.

Like above, depends on what you are aiming for.

If you are building a rider then it can work out cheaper to buy different consumables, chains, cables etc. If you are restoring to original then you will notice the odd part at the end, dont forget the correct bb too, often overlooked as you cant see it :)

mark

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":aolriq37 said:
This is absolutely not something worth worrying about.

ishaw":aolriq37 said:
Cassettes and chains are consumable items.

That would be my view too. Something is only original once. And by the time you need to replace a cassette, the rest of the bits will have done quite a few miles. A rebuild will always be a rebuild, so there's little point in chasing exact original spec IMO. Nice if it looks about right though.

I often use Sunrace cassettes and freewheels FWIW, they work fine, and are inexpensive.

Re: Re:

ishaw":3u4srov2 said:
Unless you are doing a nut and bolt, cable and pad catalogue build of course, but are you building a museum piece or a rider?
But then you'll need to fit a cheap shit bottom bracket and wheels that won't last a single wet ride........

deepnds on what you're doing...eg if you're selling... if it has upgraded parts, then call it full groupset, then mention the upgraed, if they are lower, then don't call it full groupset.

For you're own use, then for me its the main bits, mechs, cranks, shifters, all good, then chain, casette, pads (and also brakes) then use whatever you want.

I do use a lot of new cassettes/chains on my restorations, however caught lucky with a few that are unworn/unstretched and not rusted to death... those guys back in the 90s that had never heard of de-greaser and kept riding with a black 'sludge' to lube their bikes really did us restorers a favor! As example I run an XTR M950 8speed groupo on my Fuquay with a modern KMC 9 speed chain and 8 speed modern lightweight cassette and it shifts slicker than anything I've ever used! Also for the weight weenies, there is a HELL of of a lot of weight to loose by using some modern day cassettes, ive seen over 100g saved on 2 different 8 speed cassettes!

Back