Cracked? Really????????

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have been looking for a medium COTIC frame to build up. And this came onto ebay today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cotic-Soul-f ... SwclVbqAkw

Note the position of the ‘crack’. AND WELDED BRACES???!!!!

Said ‘crack’ seems to correspond almost exactly to the appearance of the kind of hacksaw gap which would appear should a frame be hacked through to release it from a lock. Of course, top tubes always crack here, NEVER at the junction of TT and head tube ... (!!!?!! Wtf).

Anyone recognise this frame...........?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Indeed - should read

‘For sale - several sections of Reynolds 853 tubing, currently welded together in the shape of a bicycle frame...’

That's definitely a crack not a cut.

A toptube replacement is only £85 from Bob Jackson so with the current bid that represents a decent total outlay for a Cotic Soul (completed items on ebay show plenty have sold for over £200).
It's also probably the easiest tube to replace (easy access to remove old top tube and clean up the headtube and seat tube, new tube only needs a simple notch on either end, should slip in place pretty easily) so "Could be repaired by someone with the correct skills and equipment" is pretty accurate.

I have a top tube sitting in my garage that I cut out of a damaged frame that'd maybe fit but I only have a basic stick welder. If I had a tig machine I could be tempted.

Re:

I was wondering whether it was actually a crack, as is expect to see stress marks where it had been prized open to get the lock through.

Re:

....well I did communicate pretty strongly in the post title and first post that I was sceptical about this being a crack. I hope I didn’t jump to conclusions too quickly but I have never seen a crack which simply occurs mid top tube in steel - OK, times when the bars have flipped around and dented the TT and the dent has then propagated a crack. Sure, weird spontaneous cracking in carbon frames ... but in 853 halfway along a TT, never in 853 in my experience but open to correction. Plenty of failures where there is a propagation point - bend, braze on, etc. And plenty of failures through poor brazing and welding at joints. Big chainstay failures, of course, particularly after damage from chainsuck. And I have seen tubes cut by a hacksaw and then prised part to get a U Lock hasp through, leaving no visible damage to the tubes other than the hacksaw cut....

Best one I have experienced (other than a friend who came back to his bike to find someone cutting through the TT and the thief saying F off it’s my bike now....!!) was Jo Burt, who had the drops and shifters allen-key-lifted from his bike, only to be helping Russell in his shop the next day, and having a guy come in with said cable-dangling set up and trying to sell it to him....that was ‘interesting’ to say the least. On that occasion the police WERE interested.

Back