HELP: rear disc adapter thingymabob

Re:

So I have an old wheel with a basic altus hub running a solid axle.
Slotted it in a frame and let's see...

1. Non drive side without any washers, its long enough to slot in the adaptor and the nut threads on all the way. Bangin.

2&3. Non drive side with washers, everything slots on but the nut doesn't fully engage on the axle, a out half way on I'd say.

4. Drive side, with washers, there is a few mm of axle poking out, so I figure shuffling everything along the axle a bit to make the axle protrude a bit more on the NDS shouldn't be a problem and it should allow nuts on both sides to fully engage the thread.

So, ideally finding a longer qr axle may be an option but possibly a good old fashioned nut job may be the simple option.

Attachments

• 4dsws.jpg
    4dsws.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 3ndsws.jpg
    3ndsws.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 2ndsws.jpg
    2ndsws.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 1ndswos.jpg
    1ndswos.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 110
Re:

Yes I'd go for the nut job as potentially very secure. However do not forget and end up in the middle of no where without a spanner !!
Its too easy to become accustomed to quick release ;-)

Re: Re:

velomaniac":e1hflkfl said:
The complete kit comes with an extra long skewer with a top hat washer and the anti torque arm to the brake boss. Original instructions say it needs flat sided dropouts to be tightened against such as found on aluminum frames. Potential extra long skewers are those used to attach BOB Yak trailers to bikes. Check out SJS cycles trailer spares. However using a solid 180 x 10mm axle with track nuts will work just fine.
Happy bodging, the kit actually works quite well ;-)

Great info, thanks.

I have some skewers that reach all the way across but perhaps they don't thread far enough in to the nut for a 'proper' job. Should probably check that!
Certainly have a long axle kit with the Blackburn rack (currently on my explosif for the baby seat) so that might be an option too if I go down the QR route.

Back