Universal Cycles - any good?

Aaron76

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,

I'm currently looking for a cheap mountain bike to use as an occasional town/pub bike, but also something I can leave at the station without too much worry that it will still be there when I come back.

The plan is either a mid 90's Raleigh (think Nitro, Eclipse, maybe a Yukon or something of that era), a low-end Saracen or similar. Budget is about £50, or maybe a bit more for something nice.

Recently a Universal Cycles mountain bike has come up for sale nearby in what appears to be my size and in reasonable condition. I don't know much about this brand, I have a feeling they were low-end stuff akin to Apollo, Emmelle, which appeared in Argos, Halfords etc. Does anybody have any experience of these bikes? Is it easier just grab another Raleigh?

Interested in your thoughts or recommendations!

Aaron

Re:

Fall into the bso category. A Raleigh Yukon, mirage or montage will be infinitely better.

Carl

Re:

Thanks for the advice. I think in that case continue the search for a tidy Raleigh or Saracen. Definitely not the Max Ogre - I once owned the matt blue version with grey tires but it weighed like a boat anchor...

If anybody has a clean Raleigh from the mid 90s or so, 22.5" top tube, 21" frame - please shout.

The irony is I actually have an old Raleigh Firestorm (can't find it any catalogs, its a bit like the Scorpion) - this was my old uni bike and is worth peanuts (think black caliper brakes, gas pipe frame, steel wheels), but I'm so sentimental about the old beater I don't want to see it getting nicked! Trying to find new wheels to fit it has been interesting, I think they are 130 OLD on the rear unlike most replacement wheels which are 135 OLD these days...or the other way round...

A quick search on eBay using the search phrase ‘Raleigh Reynolds’ will usually bring up a decent selection.

Carl

Aaron76":23bez6vc said:
something I can leave at the station without too much worry that it will still be there when I come back.

A Universal bike* would fit that bill perfectly.

*notice I said "bike" and not "mountain bike" ;) :LOL:

I bought an almost ready to go Marin Palisades (93) for £15 off eBay, which would knock the absolute socks off all of those you’ve mentioned (IMHO). It’s 12kg, has quality Shimano parts that will last 20 years, and is ready to race or take down the pub, it just neeed the tyres pumping and the brakes adjusting.
I personally wouldn’t go with any of those, IMHO Raleigh only got half decent at the top end (M Trax).

Re:

Perhaps it's worth sticking 'Universal' decals on a half decent bike to put off thieves. On the other hand, one of my colleagues had a truly scummy Apollo and even that got nicked, presumably for scrap metal.

As much as anything, I think the answer to the original question has got to depend on how much the bike will be ridden. If it's less than a mile to the station, shops, pub, etc. then it's not far to endure the misery and ignominy of riding the Universal; if they're further away, the cumulative pain of riding the Universal regularly might exceed the pain of a half decent bike being nicked.

Re:

Low end marin or saracen would be much better. Only ridden a universal once and then binned it haha. Picked up a few marin palisades trails for £20 and have a saracen tufftrax which I love. Originally cost me £10, sold it 3 years ago and just got it back for free. Also had an old raleigh aztec for £10 which I liked more than I probably should.

To sum up. Theres a lot more bikes better than a universal but still low key enough to leave at a station safely.

Back