mk one

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
My rear hub needs adjusting and possibly a service so have been trying to get into it, without much luck :oops:

The axle has a cap instead of a locknut which an allen key fits into, so i have been holding the cone with a 17mm and trying to undo the outer cap with the key, but its solid. i have tried holding this side cone then undoing the cap on the drive side, thats solid too, i have tried allen keys in both caps at same time, assuming the threads are the same on both sides, thats solid too. What am i doing wrong?? thought i had better ask before i break something, or myself :facepalm: :LOL:

Any help would be most welcome :)

Thanks

Mark

And on top of all that i have posted this in the wrong section :facepalm: could a mod move it please, thanks :)

Hi Pip

Thanks mate, yes thats the one, with the allen key end caps which lock down onto the cones. I had seen this but when i have tried to undo it i am putting so much force into it, nearly snapping my allen keys, and its just not budging. The inside of the cap where the allen key sits is starting to deform as its the softest. I was just wondering if i was doing something wrong before i resort to extra long piping on the end of a long key :facepalm:

mark

Re:

Mmm, that does indeed seem frustrating.

I assume that there could be some Shimano Threadlock on there, which usually just gives way.

The only other thing that I can suggest is freezer spray on the axle (if you can poke the straw in there) to see if it contracts enough to break the seal with those End Caps.

Pip

Ah, i have some spray somewhere. They are both aluminium though, will that work?

Re:

It's the difference in temperature between the two components that can help them to separate. It's helpful when two different materials expand or contract at different rates, but not essential.

If you heat the cap, even with a hair drier, then blast the axle with freezer spray, it can help with the difference in temperature between the two components.

Pip.

Back