Magura HS11 Hydraulic Brakes

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

Iv'e been unable to find a post created specifically for the Magura HS11 Hydraulic Brakes so here it is. Please post your pictures, experiences, advice and general feedback.

My starter for ten:

I recently came upon a bike which had these fitted and I'd like to know a little bit more about them. Firstly, do any of you have any advise as to where I should buy replacement hose kits, I found the link below but do you have anywhere better or cheaper etc. The brakes I have seem to have been fitted as standard to the 1996 Kona Explosif in the catalog below:

Catalog: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/7 ... at+_2_.pdf

Link to replacement hoses:http://www.trialsaddict.com/brake-spare ... e-kit.html

Tarty Bikes are the ones I usually buy from.

I have a couple of spare hoses in the toolbox from when I had to lengthen a set for the tandem. Let me know if interested.

I've a set of HS11s on my old Fire Mountain. As well as a *few* other sets of different maguras on varying bikes.

They're just as awesome as all other maguras.

I read that the pistons in the levers may actually be smaller than the 33s, giving more brake pad travel at the cost of power, but honestly, they're still excellent.

I've never found anywhere selling magura hose cheap, but as your link comes with the fittings, that seems pretty reasonable?

I Have had a Pair of HS-11 for last 10 years on my Hammer
Can't fault them excellent stopping power and haven't worn out my rim's as yet , fit and forget really , And perfect for touring with

I did snap a rear caliper evo mount , but their's plenty of spares on Ebay Im Running newer mounts on the rear ,its all compatible to a degree.
i myself just sold a rear hs-33 for £15 spares on there..
here's mine
[[url=https://flic.kr/p/MvAvUz][img...r.com/1854/29870967357_0b1b6c648e_k.jpg[/img]Magura HS-11 rim brakes 1998 by Wholly Spokes, on Flickr/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bgw2ac][img...r.com/1970/44807864921_d6d104f8da_k.jpg[/img]magura hs11 Rim brake 1998 by Wholly Spokes, on Flickr[/url]

Re:

As already mentioned Trials bike shops often stock Magura spares, try Tarty Bikes or Trials Addict for starters. If you're replacing a hose you'll probably need new brass olives to reconnect the host.
It doesn't have to be Magura hose I don't think, the older Magura disc brakes used the same fittings (service kit had the same parts), brake hose the same diameter should be ok.
I actually could see no difference in braking power between HS11/22/33 etc.
More important were the pads, setup, and whether a brace was used (I suggest you do use a brace).

Re:

Updating this thread as I've now got a set of HS11's, which appear to work flawlessly, and on first impressions seem to have similar power to both the HS22's, and HS33 Race lines which I've got on other bikes. In my experience brake boosters help a lot with these brakes, so I'll have to find/dig some out of the spares box.
The finish is low rent black plastic for the levers, but the Calipers seem the same as other models.
These were OEM equipment on some Kona bikes c.1996 (as per the Kona catalogue linked to by the original post).

Attachments

• DSC_0277-506x897.JPG
    DSC_0277-506x897.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC_0276-897x506.JPG
    DSC_0276-897x506.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 461
Really like Maguras and the HS11 are as good as any ive used. One of the best things is once set up they are pretty much maintainence free.

Attachments

• P1011276 (Medium).JPG
    P1011276 (Medium).JPG
    139 KB · Views: 456
mkone":1gct72gr said:
once set up they are pretty much maintainence free.

I had HS22 Racelines on my Orange Prestige from new in 1994 until i sold the bike in maybe 2002.
no word of a lie, the only maintenance I did in all that time was change brake pads, and they simply clip in and out! :LOL: nothing broke, nothing needed adjusting, never needed bleeding etc... between the Magura's and Gore-tex Ride-On cables I had an easy time of it really :LOL:

Another Kona Sex Too owner I see ^^^ :mrgreen:

So HS22 we’re def available in 1994 according to the above ? What’s the general difference between HS22 & HS33 ?

Latest posts

Back