The worst bike on RB?

Re:

Ah... :facepalm:

Not sure how I missed this bit... I think it might be scrap after all. Pretty sure I could poke a screwdriver through this, the metal's so thin and rusty. It's where the lock bracket was, obviously water had been sitting there over the years...

Of course, I could still ride it...

Attachments

• DSCF9276[1].jpg
    DSCF9276[1].jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 400
Re: Oh no...another stray dog. Anyone recognise the frame?

My humble opinion/guess is a Briggs/Falcon made Claud Butler.
Stem and forks from the 1989 range. But frame lugs from 1990-1993. Rear V-brake fittings rule out the early Cape Wrath (U-brake).
Perhaps forks and stem from a Cape, then added to a cheaper 501 frame and sprayed black to look like a Cape?

Attachments

• 71BD4D1B-7E73-42AA-AFF9-F0C3CE02CB2B.jpeg
    71BD4D1B-7E73-42AA-AFF9-F0C3CE02CB2B.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 392
  • E5E07B17-3430-400E-BE82-EB8A2F8B37A0.jpeg
    E5E07B17-3430-400E-BE82-EB8A2F8B37A0.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 391
Re: Re:

bluetomgold":3gxbgbd4 said:

Not sure how I missed this bit... I think it might be scrap after all. Pretty sure I could poke a screwdriver through this, the metal's so thin and rusty. It's where the lock bracket was, obviously water had been sitting there over the years...

Rattle the frame, tap the area gently, then rattle the frame again to see if it is flaking inside.

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":36nxtwov said:
bluetomgold":36nxtwov said:

Rattle the frame, tap the area gently, then rattle the frame again to see if it is flaking inside.

That's a good tip...

...but in this case I'm fairly sure the rust has started on the outside (from water collecting in the lock bracket).

I scraped off the worst of it yesterday and made a small hole. But it's only a small one and I reckon once the rust is removed and treated there's no reason for it to get much worse. Pretty sure the top tube is still more than strong enough for pootling around town. Compared to e.g. cable exit holes in frame tubes it's nothing...

I'll get a picture up in the next couple of days, but I'm inclined at the moment to say f*** it and build the thing up anyway.

Rear stays and finish on my pink and blue Eagle are very different to whatever bit of junk this may be!

Raleigh Amazon?

They had that glorious 100GS groupset.

legrandefromage":25ykrqut said:
Raleigh Amazon?

I don't think so. It shares some bits but the frame is different. Check out the brake hanger/rack eyes... not very Raleigh IMO.

I poked the rust and made a hole. This is the metal that remained.

I decided that that's more than enough metal for my purposes so I have treated the rust - wire brush, then Kurust, then red oxide.

Unfortunately in addition to the rust I suspect the forks may be slightly bent. Of course it would have been sensible having noticed this to quit, but stubbornness has taken over here. I want to save this irrespective of whether its sensible. It's probably folly, but that's kind of the point. If it refuses to ride in a straight line I will either replace the forks or see if I can straighten them up. My gut feeling though is that its mild enough to not be a major issue.

Anyway, I have nearly finished building it back up now... Some of the bits were better than they looked (the ugly black chainset is at least alloy) but I have "upgraded" some of the bits (brakes in particular, I found some grotty Avid Vs which are ideal). I have almost exclusively used parts salvaged from scrap bikes, although the handlebars and grips are new. The drivetrain is basic, but I'm using friction shifting so it should work fine. I expect this to ride better than it looks!

Anyway, not your typical Retrobike fodder, yes, it's utterly horrible, but I'm loving it...and looking forward to riding it! Could this be the worst bike on here? :mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSCF9295.jpg
    DSCF9295.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 248
  • Photo0026.jpg
    Photo0026.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 247
Back