Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:55 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:21 am 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC

Hi All

Iv'e been unable to find a post created specifically for the Magura HS11 Hydraulic Brakes so here it is. Please post your pictures, experiences, advice and general feedback.

My starter for ten:

I recently came upon a bike which had these fitted and I'd like to know a little bit more about them. Firstly, do any of you have any advise as to where I should buy replacement hose kits, I found the link below but do you have anywhere better or cheaper etc. The brakes I have seem to have been fitted as standard to the 1996 Kona Explosif in the catalog below:

Catalog: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/7 ... at+_2_.pdf

Link to replacement hoses:http://www.trialsaddict.com/brake-spare ... e-kit.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Tarty Bikes are the ones I usually buy from.

I have a couple of spare hoses in the toolbox from when I had to lengthen a set for the tandem. Let me know if interested.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I've a set of HS11s on my old Fire Mountain. As well as a *few* other sets of different maguras on varying bikes.

They're just as awesome as all other maguras.

I read that the pistons in the levers may actually be smaller than the 33s, giving more brake pad travel at the cost of power, but honestly, they're still excellent.

I've never found anywhere selling magura hose cheap, but as your link comes with the fittings, that seems pretty reasonable?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:30 pm 
Old School Hero

I Have had a Pair of HS-11 for last 10 years on my Hammer
Can't fault them excellent stopping power and haven't worn out my rim's as yet , fit and forget really , And perfect for touring with

I did snap a rear caliper evo mount , but their's plenty of spares on Ebay Im Running newer mounts on the rear ,its all compatible to a degree.
i myself just sold a rear hs-33 for £15 spares on there..
here's mine
[url][[url=https://flic.kr/p/MvAvUz]Image[/url]Magura HS-11 rim brakes 1998 by Wholly Spokes, on Flickr/url]
[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2bgw2ac]Image[/url]magura hs11 Rim brake 1998 by Wholly Spokes, on Flickr[/url]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:25 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

As already mentioned Trials bike shops often stock Magura spares, try Tarty Bikes or Trials Addict for starters. If you're replacing a hose you'll probably need new brass olives to reconnect the host.
It doesn't have to be Magura hose I don't think, the older Magura disc brakes used the same fittings (service kit had the same parts), brake hose the same diameter should be ok.
I actually could see no difference in braking power between HS11/22/33 etc.
More important were the pads, setup, and whether a brace was used (I suggest you do use a brace).