127 x 73 BB Replacement?

Paddler

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys ... I've found a little play on my chainset ...not bad considering it's the second BB bearing I've fitted in 27 years...not including the original orrible cup jobbies GT fitted ;) ...but they were serviceable!!

I've had a look online and I'm struggling to find precisely the right one.. I remember having chainline issues with the 68mm unit..

Q1 / Anyone know of a Shimano supplier of this size ? Or good /better alternative ..I'm not worried about retro originality in this case ;)

Q2 / Can I shim a 68mm shell BB , 2.5mm bias on the chainset side? And who does shims?

The bike is a 91 GT Team Avalanche..so square taper ..English thread??

Thanks in advance Guys and Gals! :)

hamster":2pooycig said:
I'd just fit a 122.5. Not ideal but few alternatives.
That will be considered if I struggle...or even back to cups ! Wish I'd kept the original bb I could of refurbished it.

Thanks.

I have used shims and it works fine, maybe possible to find in your local bikeshop as they come with modern external BBs?

Jakob":1rgz3zft said:
I have used shims and it works fine, maybe possible to find in your local bikeshop as they come with modern external BBs?

Yep I'm thinking new 127x68 mm shell with shim ..I take it that shifting out 2.5 mm on the chainset side is the way forward .. :mrgreen:

Ill pop along to my mates shop and have a mooch in the boxes of crap that all good shops should have....you never know what you'll find!

Update : I just went out for a quick spin into town.. first shop I call in directed me to a great little shop ... The very nice chap literally dug me out a nice feeling part use one in my size.. Just cost me a Lady .. ...happy daze.

But please if you know of a brand new source of 73x127's or even a funky upgrade serviceable version in that size it'll be very much appreciated.

;)

Back