Onza bOnaNZA.....

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As you will see from the ads at present, the workshop is being Spring-cleaned and it is astonishing what is coming to light. Some Very Nasty Things, and Some Very Interesting Things. The VNTs are going in the skip. The VITs are accumulating.

One VIT is an original 2.10 folding blackwall Onxa Racing Porc. Original pink box. Perfect condition. I love Porcs. There is one on the front of one of my c16Rs and still doing sterling duty in the rain or dust. So I face a dilemma. I am tempted to just put it on one of the RetroGrom’s XC bikes - ie USE IT! But then some on here might say ‘what a terrible waste...’ - a bit of history being wiped out in a couple of months. So that’s the dilemma. New Rocket Rons are 45.00 so what’s the point of selling the Porc for less money than a new tyre ... just use it.....aaaargh what to do?

And then I found the Quality Street tin which I KNEW was somewhere. Eight sets of Onza pedals, 30 elastomers and 3 bags of new cleats. No new bushings (I know where THEY went....) but all the bushings in the pedals are pretty good or tight, since I always oiled them to make sure then phosphor bronze was saturated with oil - failing to do that was what made the little b=ggers wear out so fast. Oiled with thin oil (counterintuitive) they would last forever....what the hell to do with this lot...

Oh...and the most ratty Cannondale 18 inch m800 frame in the world - the original 1988 one in white with red graphics, where one batch had the ‘falling off head tubes...’ - this one never fell off. WTF shall I do with that?.....free on collection?

What a curious way to advertise an Onza Porc without putting a price on it. :roll:

GLWS

Re:

Nope it’s not that ... We’ve moved a couple of times and I need more space - I need to decide what to use - and in some cases consume, like tyres - and what to keep, what to give away and what to sell. The Cannondale frame someone can have free. The new two Kevlar Racing Claw IRC 2.10s I found In the box along with the Porc i have decided to use, so they have gone onto a couple of bikes as replacement rear tyres. And the rubber from those will be left on roots in the single track in Stanmer this weekend. But I don’t know whether to consume the Porc or keep it. I already have some contemporary tyres on the Racelite and Amp and the rate at which I ride those in earnest means that they’ll never wear out. Nope, it’s a genuine question. I’ll simply put the Porc on ‘how much is it worth’ thread if people think I shouldn’t use it up - I have no idea what they are going for in the real world since there are some stupid prices on eBay. I was pleased to put the white Michelin’s on the red P7 which Colin bought last month - they looked excellent.

Okay, my bad, but I see this tactic so much now on Facebook it’s unreal.

BTW, it’s worth £50 as a start price. Blackwall being the killer, albeit more attractive to some. What label is on the tyre? Pink/purple?

Re:

No problem. It’s a black wall folding with a pink AND purple label on it...bought early 90’s along with the IRC’s. If I can sell it for the price of contemporary rubber then that would be fine. Your post got me searching and I have rethought about just using up the IRCs....I got through quite a few of these in the 90s so had a few of them lying around....They are YETI IRC Racing Claw FROs and I have the original boxes for these too. So maybe I should refrain from using these and offer them up here too?...

The Porc is the same as this one on the Marin which I advertised last month (which is sold subject to pickup) you can just about see the label on the photo....this was the tyreset last used on this bike when it went into store about 15 years’ ago....

Attachments

• 20478EAA-BEF0-46B9-9561-4062004A7506.jpeg
    20478EAA-BEF0-46B9-9561-4062004A7506.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 237
Having just bought a Yeti I can tell you that all that rubber you mention will be of interest to Yeti owners. There was a pair of IRC / YETI F.R.O. tyres recently unsold then relisted on eBay, I think about £80 for the pair. (Search they might still be there.) Personally, the IRCs are a year later than I’d want for my own build but that Onza would be perfect, but as you said, it’s not a sales ad so... :p

Re:

...thanks this is very helpful...I think the tyres are more important to others than me, I just want to move from a workshop full of stuff to a more manageable space. I am building a COTIC for my 13 year old son and a couple of Ragley Marley’s for us both. What I’ll do is get all the rubber together tonight and then get it on ‘what’s it worth’ or perhaps straight onto the sale thread if I know I can replace the old rubber with new. I think the full list is likely to be:

Onza folding new in box; Onza folding used no box but not bad; 2x IRC Yeti folding FROs a bit used but in original boxes; f&r amber wall WTB velociraptors (from a Proflex 956 which is in bits in a box somewhere - victim of elastomer famine).

Whenever I dig stuff out my son goes ‘oooooh look at that...you HAVE to keep it...’ but then he doesn’t have to work around piles of stuff which realistically never gets used.....I wanted to sell the AMP but he has chained it to the floor....

2manyoranges":2k8q7w81 said:
...Whenever I dig stuff out my son goes ‘oooooh look at that...you HAVE to keep it...’

He’s right and he will hate you for this one day lol :LOL:

GLWS

Re:

One bike I am pretty decided on keeping is the Bontrager Racelite in very dark purple metallic. It’s a small, and perfect, unused really. Full XTR and all original. Very early serial number, so made in Keith B’s garage, and imported by someone famous in bike kit manufacturing and then bought from him by me in 1994. Irritatingly it has 180 cranks on it, which is a bit silly on a small (14inch) frame. But that one is definitely one for my son.....

Back