Amber wall tyre recommendation

Tricky1977

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Hi,

What do people recommend for amberwall tyres?
Is it just NOS?
There’s a few Ritchey on eBay or nasty Tioga but I want something that’s new looking

Re:

Generally speaking I find getting hold of decent retro amberwalls one of the hardest and sometimes costly, mainly as they are a consumable item and 25 year old rubber doesn't fair well.

I like to keep all the tyres on my retro fleet from the era, these include, Panaracers Dart/Smoke, IRC Mythos, Maxxis, WTBs and also Tioga. I can honestly said the Tiogas don't seem to fair well, they turn to sort of foam and just crumble! The Panaracers tend to dry out and crack between the knobs and carcass, I find the IRCS fair pretty well.

HOWEVER this is for general gentle riding, woods, toepaths, road etc. If I were to attempt to ride any of the retros to the limit, I would seriously need to consider modern rubber for the pure safety issue and that modern rubber is twice as grippy than older, not only in design but the fact it hasn't dried out.

Yes indeed thanks.
I was looking at a stunning set of Ritchey Alpha and Omega bite at £100. My plan was to put them on the bike for photos only, ie never use them.
I agree the Tiogas dont wear well. I have some original psychos off my Gary Fisher and the sidewalk isn’t great. Useable but as you say not on the limit

I’ve only just learnt of the IRCs and there are a few around so I’ll keep my eye out

White Porcs would be nice too but hey ;)

Re:

WTB are a good tyre and I think they are made well and older tyres, even used ones tend do have decent rubber and sidewalls.

I do have a set (above was not a sales pitch) I'm not using but have been hanging on to for when needed. Also have some smoke/darts which are pretty much as new too.

I could part with one set I guess.

Try this "classic" Schwalbe Nobby Nic:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Schwal ... -Tyre/HVB5

Seems expensive, but also high end regarding the latest tyre tech and most importantly, FRESH. You could be better off considering these Panaracer reissues though (Smoke/Dart): https://www.bike-components.de/en/Panar ... re-p56722/

My long battle with expired rubber (tires, that is) shows that early Ritcheys are the true survivors, followed by IRCs, Michelins are OK and Panaracers sadly give up the ghost a bit easier, rather often. But the storage time/condition are paramount, and try to get as fresh ones as possible.

Re: Re:

ishaw":1jn8yfs1 said:
WTB are a good tyre and I think they are made well and older tyres, even used ones tend do have decent rubber and sidewalls.

I do have a set (above was not a sales pitch) I'm not using but have been hanging on to for when needed. Also have some smoke/darts which are pretty much as new too.

I could part with one set I guess.

Thanks ishaw, feel free to PM me some pics if you have any? Thanks

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I’m also thinking of Panaracer Fire XC red:

edit: yes I know they are red

Attachments

• 63291B48-CB95-4061-975A-B3C377F0D959.jpeg
    63291B48-CB95-4061-975A-B3C377F0D959.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 218
  • D954CB3F-C36B-4E28-804E-8DF8159A8A5D.jpeg
    D954CB3F-C36B-4E28-804E-8DF8159A8A5D.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 218
Back