Mavic 316 crown race question

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
is it possible to get a Mavic 316 crown race from anywhere ? Or is there one of another male which would be compatible?
Any help appreciated - I don’t want to buy another headset

Re:

Not sure if this is helpful, but this Ebay seller is letting some NOS 316 spares go. Looks like a complete bottom cup complete with crown race, but best to check.

I nearly bought them myself but postage seems a killer...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-316-31 ... SwkvFaVBRf

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks for the link
Postage is a killer - there’s also a NOS new silver 316 one for sale in the USA for £47 plus postage -
But don’t want spend that as mine is in nice condition - my crown race was wedged onto my Pace fork - I sold the fork and asked the buyer to send the crown race back when I sold it - the smart Alec sent it to a complete different address and that’s that.

Think a bike shop down the road has a complete NOS headset still on the shelf, does it matter if it's black or silver? I can pop by in the next week and have a gander if you are interested? 1.1/8 yeah? If memory serves me right, they are just loose caged ballbearings yeah? If so I would assume most lower races for similar would fit, its just the seal integrating with the lower cup you need to worry about, unless you ride in dry or service often...

TOMAS":3vekwecq said:
Think a bike shop down the road has a complete NOS headset still on the shelf, does it matter if it's black or silver? I can pop by in the next week and have a gander if you are interested? 1.1/8 yeah? If memory serves me right, they are just loose caged ballbearings yeah? If so I would assume most lower races for similar would fit, its just the seal integrating with the lower cup you need to worry about, unless you ride in dry or service often...

Thanks Tomas
Appreciate it - if you could take a look whenever you have time and pass by the shop

ibbz":2ixdk62w said:
TOMAS":2ixdk62w said:

Thanks Tomas
Appreciate it - if you could take a look whenever you have time and pass by the shop

Ibbz, the headset they have is an ATEK, which looks kinda similar to the Mavic one they had. I have one more shop that i'll try for you next week and then i'm out of luck.

Re:

Thanks mate
I’m considering biting the bullet and buying a complete one from evilbay - though I’ll need to ask a mate to do it for me as My eBay account has been blocked cos of a dispute with the thieves

Re: Re:

ibbz":1ftea3n7 said:
Thanks mate
I’m considering biting the bullet and buying a complete one from evilbay - though I’ll need to ask a mate to do it for me as My eBay account has been blocked cos of a dispute with the thieves

The Mavic is loose balls yeah? I have one on my Diablo but can't be arsed to have a looky, have you actually tried any other manufacturer races as I suspect there will be whole host that will fit and shame to bin an entire headset just for a lower crown...

Humm, I'd deffo be tempted to try a few other races before you bite the bullet and buy new. Try a few local well established/dated bike shops, perhaps try and run it with loose balls (you'll need more than you currently have) of the same diameter. Worst case, its gonna eat up the lower cup and you'll need to replace anyway but shouldn't do any damage to frame nor fork if done correctly and worth a shot?

Back