Spokes keep snapping

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
I have a 94 marin sausulito with a reasonably good back wheel except 3 spokes have snapped in quick succession.

I've put a new one on twice and while I'm no expert i managed to get it pretty true (i was quite pleased with it - less than 1mm out i think) and none seemed particularly tight or loose.

I don't want to fix it again if another one will just go.

The first two were next to each other, third was on the other side but not directly opposite.

Google suggests replacing all the spokes. Is that a good idea? Looks like about £30 for a set on ebay from China. Various weights, not sure what's suitable.

The whole bike cost £50 so I don't want to spend a fortune. Its in great nick aside from this and a great commuter.

Its a 700c wheel.

Any advice gratefully received!

Re:

Best to get the wheel/s checked or rebuilt by a certified mechanic or buy some new wheels for it.

jaypee":38vczt4c said:
Any advice gratefully received!

A: replace (all) the spokes and nipples with new ones, build and tension the wheel correctly.

B: find a complete replacement wheel.

Option B is probably cheapest.

its possible the rim might be slightly bent, which shows the same symptoms of unequal spoke tension (even if the rim runs true). this can exert a huge lateral force with the resulting snapped spokes.

i'd 2nd Jimo, look for a replacement wheel.

Yep, it's usually a danger sign. I once had three spokes go on a six month old wheel in quick succession, took the wheel into the shop to get them replaced, and within a week had another four go.

I scrapped the wheel despite it being costly for the time. Some rim/hub/use case combinations don't age well. I'd bought a heavy deep section mavic rim because the streets of London were hammering my rear wheel and I thought it would be stronger. Turned out not to be the case. Perhaps the original build wasn't that great.

Re:

Thanks guys, I'll look into a replacement wheel (was hoping to avoid that but agree its probably the sensible option).

I'm worried it may be an unusual size but I haven't got round to measuring yet.

Re:

Good to hear, thanks.

My thinking was that its an early hybrid on an unusual hub (shimano 400cx) with possibly an unusual OLD for a 700c wheel. But that that was only a theory.

I had this on two seperate rear wheels on my road bike. Both times the rims had cracks round the spoke holes. Check carefully for this before spending money on spoke replacements. Before I noticed the last rim I'd ridden the Velothon and bombed it down all the hills. Then noticed 3 days later that there was a load of cracks including one about 1cm long across the rim.

Scary to think what would have happened had it gone while doing 40mph down Caerphilly mountain.

Back