The FUQUAY is alive!! Any Fuquay lovers in here :)

TOMAS

Senior Retro Guru
Thanks to many here on the forum I've finally built up the cream of my Retro fleet...

This frame has been passed around a few members on the forum but I took the time to remove the seized seatpost and turn it into a lovely bike.

Greatly appreciate any comments or info on this Fuquay frame, also do people think the 'Jerry' decal is original to the frame as it looks out of place IMO? From reading up on here and info passed from previous owners, I am told that it was Greg Fuquay's show bike for London Bike Show 97, it has a few small blemishes on it but overall looks great and satisfies my purple fetish haha! Also component wise, I've tried to keep it as 1997 as possible, again comments welcome on anything that stands out as totally wrong to the period (except the repro Flite Saddle, ODi grips, modern day gold chain and cassette and possibly pedals - i'm still on a learning curve to remember what was what in 97, I was only 15 years old at the time!).

Those with a good eye will notice the mechs are for 9spd but it's running 8 speed shifters and cassette, I wanted to keep it all XTR and having trouble finding reasonably priced XTR 8 speed mechs, the 9 speed seems to work perfectly fine.

Tom

Attachments

• 20180821_125958_resized.jpg
    20180821_125958_resized.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 1,105
  • 20180821_130051_resized.jpg
    20180821_130051_resized.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 20180821_130122_resized.jpg
    20180821_130122_resized.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 1,094
  • 20180821_130215_resized.jpg
    20180821_130215_resized.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • 20180821_130240_resized.jpg
    20180821_130240_resized.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 20180821_130252_resized.jpg
    20180821_130252_resized.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,095
Re:

jez-4-bikes-max":2e1xt8xd said:
That has come out extraordinary!

Indeed it has! It's come up really well and great job removing the seatpost without damaging the paint... Plenty of love for Fuquay around here :cool:

Although the P2 is perfectly fine I reckon a Yellow Judy SL fork would look the nuts on this (if suspension's your thing).

How does it ride :?:

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":lbo6mm9f said:
jez-4-bikes-max":lbo6mm9f said:
That has come out extraordinary!

Indeed it has! It's come up really well and great job removing the seatpost without damaging the paint... Plenty of love for Fuquay around here :cool:

Although the P2 is perfectly fine I reckon a Yellow Judy SL fork would look the nuts on this (if suspension's your thing).

How does it ride :?:

No way could I ruin the paint on it, I bought it purely on the paint job alone and at a cheap price and then found out a bit more about Mr Fuquay himself as I'd never heard of him before, then discovered that I think it's a pretty rare beast! I think in honor of the man himself i'm going to take it close to its birth place on a few laps of Thetford Forest later this year haha! Not been far on it so far, its actually almost too nice to risk riding hard on it, rides quite a lot like my Cindercone I'd say but I'd put that down to the fork.

I'm awaiting a proper set of scales but on the bathroom scales it's coming out close to 20lbs, for a purely steel bike... which amazes me! I didn't do the build light on purpose, just wanted good solid components from the era to try and do it justice. I'm just toying with swapping to light latex tubes to shed another 150-200g off it?

In terms of suspension from the era, so far I've only had experience of early 90s Mag 20s and Mag 30s that I've restored, those don't really do a lot for me and think I prefer rigid (swapped up Mag 30s for rigid Pace RC30s) and if I need more compliance, 2.2 tyres...

Re:

I'm sure u just love saying FUQUAY alot lol but Looking good Tom now let me dig round your stock for a build

Re:

Very nice indeed. I wish I’d persevered and got that seatpost out myself. Proper lightweight too.

The impression I had was that the ‘Jerry’ is the original name and was a tribute to Jerry Garcia of the grateful dead (band). He died in 1995 so not sure whether that would link to a build being completed a year or so later for this frame.

Now, I can’t recall exactly where I got this info but it could have been from the son-in-law of the long term ‘original’ owner, an employee (welder) of Greg’s in Ipswich. That’s where I got the frame.

Regards
Mat

Back