Koga Miyata Fatmax II - Bonding Issue

sykkeltryne

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I got my hands on a Koga Miyata Fatmax II for my Miyata, which I think is a APA-bonded alu fork. Unfortunately it was the wrong color. Searched for a long time in my area to find someone who could wet-paint the fork - as most only could do powder coat. But when i got it back they had powder coated it, despite my clear instructions. Now I am afraid that the bonding has suffered damage from the heat of the powder coat process - Should I be worried? It seems as it was before - but I haven't tested riding it.

Attached is a picture of the fork before painting.

Thanks

Attachments

• $_86 (1).JPG
    $_86 (1).JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 291
  • $_86 (2).JPG
    $_86 (2).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 291
Re:

Thank you for your reply.

It is a Elevation 8000 (1992). I think it is a 18,5" but i dont have the exact model catalog scan, could also be 16,5" cannot get the top tube measurements to match accurately (About 565mm top tube "A" measurement).

I don't know at what temperature he "baked" the, but he said he had been gentle with it :x . But I don't know if i should take the chance on it not being damaged...

Re:

Hm, looks like a 42 cm. The 47 cm has a longer headtube. Anyway, not too difficult to find a fork. But it probably comes with a frame if I find one.
I'll have a look in the coming weeks. Checked the marketplace allready but there are no original bonded Miyata's on offer at the moment, only the cheaper models with unicrowns or aftermarket suspension forks.

Re:

I remember I helped you with this pink fork a couple of years ago. Time flies.....and nice forks get ruined :facepalm:
But we'll find another one :cool:

Re:

I really don't know what influence the temperature had on the glue. What temperature is used for the procedure?

Re:

I can ask him - but from a quick search it seems that the temperature range is normally from 160 to 215 c.

Yes, it is the one you helped me with. Finally had the funds to get it painted, and thought i had found a good place to do it - so annoyed that he did not listen when i told him not to powder coat it...

Back