2 or more of the same bike?....

Re:

I have a few bikes with the same frame, but different builds. It was easier than constantly rebuilding them for different intents.

Although at one point I did have 2 almost identical bikes, one with mud tyres and one with dry, although they were different colours ;-)

I've ONLY got two retro bikes and they're both Orange P7s - very different bikes though despite both being stock.

The P7 has definitely changed over the years - a few years' ago, it looked more like a jump bike.

I have two Team Marins. a ‘91 and a ‘96 - both NOS frame and forks..

I have been eyeing up the NOS black and green one that’s been floating around here and eBay lately.. but I think that would take it to a dark place, as I would then be committed to spend the rest of my life trying in vain to complete the NOS Team Marin “vertical”.

I deliberately assembled a collection of riders that are different from one another.

87 Fat Chance - True temper tubing, M730 XT 6 speed, slack geometry, fun do anything go anywhere bike, a smile generator.

89 Overburys Pioneer - Columbus, M732/5 XT, 700c conversion with dirt drops set up for all weathers, winter commuter, general workhorse, bike-packing etc

91 Klein Pinnacle - Aluminium frame, M650 DX equipped off road tourer with aggressive geometry, fun as hell to blast around local streets and trails.

92 Roberts Black Leopard - Columbus tubing, Full XTR, off road tourer with more relaxed geometry, does it all and is the lightest most agile bike I ever owned, unequalled ride quality.

They all look different and ride different and I love them all. I can't pick a favourite because each has something the others don't. They all have one thing in common and that's how much I enjoy riding them. Many have come and gone but I don't see these ones leaving the stable.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCS
5 years later and this thread has aged like milk ……

I was worried about having 2 Zaskars here.

And now I’m down a double digit rabbit hole of same frames / bikes. Not just Zaskars either. 🤦
Keeps you out of trouble at least, you could be spending the time/money on drugs or gambling...

FWIW we had 2 RST fork-optioned Outposts for a short while, one canti & one V. The lad currently has 2 early I-drives but one's an XCR2000 and the other a Comp with discs (none of the above currently built up, mind you.)

A good few other bikes/frames laying about the place, mostly GT, but nothing else duplicated.... yet.....

I have two '97 M-trax 350's - one bought new in 18" (always on the small side and now very much so) and another recently acquired in better size.
Really should let the 18" go but lots of memories and to me seems more valuable than the £50 or less I'd get for the frame and fork.

93/4 Hardrock steel, medium. Rigid, 3x7 all terrain rat
2010 Hardrock alu, medium, suspension fork, 3x8, bone stock except for her choice of saddle
2010 Hardrock alu, large, suspension fork, single speed

If I could, I'd probably grab another large steel Hardrock with semi horizontal dropouts for internal gears

Back