Import duty on a frame from the States

Re:

There will probably be vat to pay, plus a handling fee.

It's a bit hit and miss. I've paid nothing a few times and hefty charges other times (annoyingly on things I've sent for repair, so I owned them).

Import duty threshold is something like 150quid, vat threshold is about 15 quid.

If you were charged on things returned appeal you should get it back.

Re:

I’ve purchased two frame sets from the states and paid duty as follows;

Steel frame, forks and stem from NYC; duty £32
Steel frame, forks, stem seatpost and bars from LA; duty £42

Way more than 4.7% in both cases as frames were only low value c.£150 each

Hotwheels.":29u9382q said:
I've found they usually charge what they like, usually a lot.

You should be charged two things at standard rates: An import tariff + VAT. These will vary according to the category of goods, but "should" be applied at standard rates, not some arbitrary amount. But they can quickly become very expensive.

See here: https://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulation ... es-1018983

So 4.7% for frames/components; 15% for complete bikes. Then 19% VAT.
Annoyingly, the VAT is based on the combined cost of the goods PLUS shipping.

In the UK though, some shipping companies also slap on some sort of "handling fee" for getting your parcel through customs.

That works differently in other EU countries. In Germany, for example, there are no arbitrary "customs clearance" fees from couriers (although Ebay does offer this "customes clearance" service, but it's by agreement not slapped on without your consent).

Instead, imported goods are delivered to a local state-run customs house. They then snail-mail you (sometimes several days after your online parcel tracking shows that your parcel arrived), saying that you have 14 days to collect your goods (so don't be away on vacation!). You also need to take all relevant payment documents to prove the purchase value. You then queue (and queue) at the desk, they ask you what's in the parcel, then hand you a box-cutter to open it in front of them. Once satisfied, they calculate the duty/VAT and you then get to take your item home. If you ask nicely, they'll give you some tape to repair the opened packaging.

The whole system avoids unexpected fees, but it can be extremely time-consuming and inconvenient.

What really annoys me is when bike companies produce an item in the far east, but then ship everything to the US before redistributing to the EU and elsewhere. It just adds delays, doudle-taxation and shipping, and a lot more air-miles / carbon emissions.

Perfect example of a frame that I'm interested: Produced in Taiwan; brand based in the US; me based in the EU.

US retaill price is USD1100. That's after all import duties are paid, and even includes free domestic US shipping.

Re-shipping to the EU is another USD100 or so ( = USD 1200).
But then import duty and VAT takes that to more than USD1500).

I'm not complaining about paying tax, because the US customers also pay all relevant import duties at their end. But the real cost to EU customers is a good 40% more than the US price, simply because the brand doesn't bother to ship a container of bikes/frames directly to the EU. So everything goes via the US first, which means the goods are taxed when imported to the US and then again when re-imported to the EU.

Obviously, large companies ship directly to their regional distributors... but not this niche brand.
:evil: :evil: :facepalm:

Back