The “Ultimate” Steel 90s build??? :)

Re:

Ahh.. lovely thread :)

Here are 2 of my steel builds, both with columbus nivacrome tubing
The rigid one has a steel Ritchey fork n Salsa cromoto stem. Bike weighs 8,7 kg.. nice quick ride that I rode all summer.. frame is 1635 grams in size L
The second is an ongoing project I'm hoping to get down to 9,5kg. With rear flex that frame is 300 grams heavier, and together with suspension fork and the heaviest brakes ever made, it's a tough game though :facepalm:

When you have your lush light frame and fork, wheels is the one thing not to go cheap on. If your weight allows, go for Tune or DT hubs, light rims and spokes. Then you're alomst home.

If you haven't already, make a spreadsheet.

It's fun building light bikes, and even more is riding them :)

Attachments

• dbnemo.JPG
    dbnemo.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 275
Ah great advice thanks!
(Edit) and I love the look of your rides, right up my alley.

I’m already weighing all of my parts. The Pug came with some awesome 120g kalloy bars, plus I have a carbon seat post (190g), weenie bar ends (70g each) 190g Control Tech stem and light/lighter saddle (330g). Your right I’m going to make a list.

Sadly the frame arrived and is 2.1kg which isn’t a great start... I’ll probably still build it as I like the goofy retro vibe:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=387696&start=10

Re:

Great stuff. The peugeot sounds interesting

Re Marin, the pine mountain is lovely but generally shared frame with eldridge and bear valley se. Team versions used lighter tubing.

Re: Re:

jaypee":1xwltwfh said:
Great stuff. The peugeot sounds interesting

Re Marin, the pine mountain is lovely but generally shared frame with eldridge and bear valley se. Team versions used lighter tubing.

No and yes:
Pine Mountain frame has a lighter machined out BB while Bear Valley SE does not.
Pine Mountain is Tange double butted, Team Marin is Tange Prestige, a combination of double and triple butted tubes.

Back