Replacement Bottom Bracket for Ross Mt. Hood 1986?

MatthewB

Retro Newbie
Hey guys, made an account because I thought maybe someone here could give me a hand. It looks like my bike needs a new bottom bracket but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I'm not a bike geek so my dad's going to help me fix it up next week (I fix his PC, it's a good trade!). He's not sure what it needs without looking at it first, though. I was hoping I could find out what it needs here and just order the part and send it to his house so it will be there when I show up with the bike.

I'm not a collector or anything, I got this bike in middle school 32 years ago lol. I've started riding again but everything's getting wobbly between the pedals so I need to get it fixed up. He said something about there being a newer style of bottom bracket that might be better (it's all one unit instead of 3 parts or something? way over my head lol).

I came across this site because someone else apparently has the same bike here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=259991

Re:

Assuming you need a square taper bottom bracket then there are lots of optikns out there. You need to know the bottom bracket shell width (usually 68mm or 73mm) and the length of the axle on your current one.

Armed with these details you should be able to find what you need online or perhaps on here if you post a wanted advert.

You'll be able to measure the bottom bracket shell width easily, but without removing the cranks you'll struggle to measure the axle width.

Thanks! Yeah he just texted me and it sounds like he's just going to have to measure it all when I get there. I don't even have the wrench to open it up so I wouldn't be able to do the axle width.

Back