Retrobike Touring.

Re:

Great images and motivational (!). A friend and I are off touring the deserted roads and pretty villages of Holderness in the next week or two.

Trying to decide what bicycle to use.

Rk.

Re:

First tour – Ride Report

21st / 22nd July 2018

Bolton – Bentham

Having intended to ease my way in to cycle touring, my original intention was to get the train to Clitheroe and make the 25 – 30 mile journey to Bentham from there, however as usual Northern FAIL let me down so a “full fat” ride was required. I was a little daunted having never ridden with fully laden panniers before (or ridden 50 miles before!), but doesn’t god love a trier?!

Left around 0830, straight up the A666 to Blackburn and onto the leeds / Liverpool canal. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and realised I should probably have had a bigger breakfast.

The towpath is pretty rough and my elbows were starting to ache already. The Thwaites brewery came into view putting my mind on the prize at the end of the day.

Once off the canal nr Rishton I made a convoluted beeline for Whalley over a huge hill I could have avoided if I bothered learning how to read maps properly. It was peaceful though and the descent was refreshing. I’ve never been to Whalley before (it’s only 20 miles away) and was really impressed by the historic architecture. Will be visiting again with the missus for a posh coffee and a wander.
Up through Clitheroe and into Grindleton where I reached a milestone, so with the time being around 11.45 I stopped to make my very first mid-ride brew and get stuck in to cheese & marmite sandwiches, a flake and an apple.

Next I climbed some big hills view nice views of Pendle Hill etc, got a bit lost (bridleway wasn’t as the map suggested) and ended up at a trig point before dropping down to Gisburn forest hub where I have previously visited many times for the MTB trails. Past the Stocks reservoir which looked like it needed stocking up and up more big hills. The hedges here are full of raspberries so I took full advantage.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 360
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 362
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 362
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 360
Re:

Cont'd.......

Then more uphill / down dale before a 15 minute fast descent towards Yorkshire. Made Bentham by about 3.30pm. Pitching up was a little arduous (first time out with my new tent) but easily done. Then a quick wash before walking down into Bentham to check it out. After traversing the high street I scoped out a decent pub serving chilli con carne (my fave) so settled in for a couple of pints of Robinsons Unicorn. Then onto another pub, a quirky place (“Hogs & Heifers”) for a pint of something else I can’t remember.

Quite fancied some of these bad boys;

Walking back to the campsite I spied a couple of farmyards sporting items from yesteryear.

Approx. 52 miles
3,596 ft climbing, 3,530 ft descending

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 355
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 356
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 356
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 356
Looks excellent! It's a steep learning curve and a shedload of new skills when touring. Early 90s MTBs are just the perfect tool for the job.

Re:

Pt II – Bentham – Home

After a positively S**T nights sleep I made my beans/sausages and packed up at leisure. Setting off around 10am I was instantly met by a hill which went on for about 2 or 3 miles and I was feeling the burn already. Stopped at the Great Stone of Fourstones but couldn’t get a full photo of it as 2 germans were nattering at the top. After telling them what type of birds of prey we have in this area (“der Kestral….errr….der buzzard…..” etc) I carried on over the Fell road. Had to push up some of the hills which can only be described as ridiculous!!! However the drop down towards slaidburn was exhilarating (or a bit scary perhaps).

Lunch at Slaidburn (large mug of tea, ham & mustard sandwich with a lovely salad) followed by a slog over to Dunsop bridge. I was flagging by this point, the hills were super steep (lots of walking) and just kept coming. After a decent ride towards Whitewell I climbed up the steepest hill of all timeTM to the top of longridge fell. Then descended back into Ribchester. More hills led me back to Blackburn and ultimately through to the mother in laws for a whopping Sunday roast and a beer. My legs were like jelly.

Approx 48 miles.

3,786ft climbing, 3868ft descending

Overall a great inauguration into touring. Beautiful scenery, quiet lanes, solitude.

Attachments

• 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 350
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 349
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 349
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 350
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 352
hamster":30sx2ei8 said:
Looks excellent! It's a steep learning curve and a shedload of new skills when touring. Early 90s MTBs are just the perfect tool for the job.

Yeh the bike was great actually. I've got a Trek touring bike which, on paper, would have suited this a bit better (700c wheels, range of hand positions etc) but I was really pleased with the comfort and stability of my trusty Cannondale.

Definitely a learning curve, not so much on the gear/fuel side of things but more on the route planning! (a more gentle homeward journey next time)

Back