Does this Qualify?

Oldskool13

Old School Hero
Afternoon,

In desperate attempt to recapture my youth, get back on two wheels and try to get rid of the flab. I've bought an old school Mountain Bike.

It's a Townsend Colorado with a Reynolds 501 frame and Shimano Altus C10 gears.

My questions are..

(a) Is it any good?

(b) Does it qualify as a Retro Bike?

(c) Was I ripped off? (I paid £10 for it) :D

PeterPerfect":8wyu55cz said:
As long as it all works and it's a tenner, and you have no shame or desire to ‘just upgrade that bit’ , making small gains in weight saving, performance and cool, it doesn't matter.

That’s what he meant to say. ;)

As long as you get out and grin as you ride. Where are you and how tall?

Re:

Hi all thanks for the welcome.

The answers were pretty much what I expected :LOL:

It's been sat in a garage fo 7 years. Everything seems to work ok, tyre are past it so I've ordered some Schwalbe Land Cruisers off Amazon 'cos I'm the wrong side of 50 and I won't be hurling myself down any single track etc anymore. Just wanted something cheap to have a bit of a fun tinkering with.

And it lives up to my previous bike history. Before I had to give up riding for a while my last bike was a Dawes XC 2.2 :?

I'm in southampton by the way.

Re:

There’s quite a few of us on here the wrong side of 50 hurtling down singletrack, doubletrack and a few small mountains we have in the UK. Welcome and enjoy
It , might be the best tenner you spent in a long time.

Re:

I'm betting you're a lot fitter than me. Just going to take it easy for now.
I suspect buying old bikes could get addictive though.

I started out with a 10quid claud butler. I rode it every day for 2 years.
My first ride I got a hundred yards and though "shit buying a treader
was a bad move", I get about on a bike now.

Stick a bomber and some avid arch on and the mob will be satisfied ;)

A quick google shows Townsend is in Denver, which is in Colorado. I can just see the design team struggling for a name :LOL:

dyna-ti":h4d11dg0 said:
Stick a bomber and some avid arch on and the mob will be satisfied ;)

A quick google shows Townsend is in Denver, which is in Colorado. I can just see the design team struggling for a name :LOL:

I can live with the howls of derision, I'm trying not spend too much on it. Just forked out on new tyres and tubes and thought that was it. Now I've discovered a slight buckle and a broken spoke in the back wheel. :shock:

Back