What’s wrong with me? Stop buying!

Rodrigues":3rsdmx3j said:
I've managed this :cool:

Rodrigues' top tips:

1. sell everything retro you won't ride regularly (at least once a fortnight) - if impossible keep your absolute favourite (but only one bike).
2. to make the above meaningful (in some way) keep a list of the money you've recovered and enjoy the feeling of treating your family to a nice holiday with the proceeds
3. delete the eBay / Gumtree / <insert random marketplace here> app from your phone - never re-install it
4. ride ride ride - commute, drag yourself out in all weather, meet up with mates, cycle to the shops / pub / physio etc
5. always aim to fix / restore stuff over buying anything new

on this last point - some inspiration: https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09 ... e-obvious/
(points 3, 4 and 5 in particular)

be free now young ed :cool:

(edit - I recognise this is a struggle and try to stay strong...at some point in the future i may break, and then will be on here seeking similar solace....please be gentle with me)

I'd have no bikes left if I followed number 1! :shock: :LOL:

Actually had a bit of time to strip the Elite down today and turns out it has a Stronglite headset, Manitou mk1 forks, a useable 9sp groupset and a Syncros stem. God bless you sub standard ebay adds, god bless you. :D :D :D :D

I'll feel better when I clear a decent chunk of the bikes/frames/parts I really don't want. Some how managed to collect about three sets of M730/2/5 XT group's with thumbies. :?

Re:

In the springtime I've shifted my activities to preparing a shabby Alfa Romeo 75 with two mates, and now to restoring a very old house. Suddenly I'm not doing anything anymore with my bikes and I don't mind selling all but one.

So maybe it's an idea to shift attention to something else.

Honestly, if it’s really on your mind karma the lot you don’t need/will never build.

If you are doing building works then a few retro bikes are a drop in the ocean, your sanity and stress levels are worth it.

You could always ask for a suitable donation in return to your fave charity.

Solve the problem. You can easily acquire all this old tat again when the time/need arises

Re:

I must admit to reading this thread with a self satisfied and somewhat smug smirk on my face. You see my friends I am in complete control of these ridiculous impulses you lesser mortals seem to be unable to suppress......

Although -
PeterPerfect":15fwzf32 said:
As further proof of this, I bought the Overburys on the bay which was an impulse buy which is now for sale on here!
He's selling an Overbury's? I do love an Overbury's. So I did a search and found it was a touring bike. Phew, I'm not in the market for one. Somehow, and I'm not entirely sure how, that led onto matBH5's ad in the for sale section.

Mat's got a shiny NOS Mavic 316 headset. I'm not exactly flush right now and I have no bike currently being assembled and nothing in the pipeline. I have no need for this at all but those Mavic 316's are just so....well....pretty and it's NOS for crying out loud.

Anyway I've only gone and 'won' it. Now I've well and truly fallen off the wagon and I'm wondering what frame it would look good on!! The answer to that of course is an Overbury's.

My precious will be in the post by Monday Mat says, it's mine now, all mine (cue maniacal laughter).

Re: Re:

Remko":3w0dir51 said:
In the springtime I've shifted my activities to preparing a shabby Alfa Romeo 75 with two mates, and now to restoring a very old house. Suddenly I'm not doing anything anymore with my bikes and I don't mind selling all but one.

So maybe it's an idea to shift attention to something else.

Yep, that’s what I need to do. Have always thought I would restore an old ford but prices have gone mental!

xxnick1975":31ja3ms6 said:
Honestly, if it’s really on your mind karma the lot you don’t need/will never build.

If you are doing building works then a few retro bikes are a drop in the ocean, your sanity and stress levels are worth it.

You could always ask for a suitable donation in return to your fave charity.

Solve the problem. You can easily acquire all this old tat again when the time/need arises

More thinking out aloud rather than stress. As mentioned before, it’s first world whinging and I appreciate the position i am in. I do plan to karma a bunch of stuff to a local bike charity though.

The History Man":1xr44e05 said:
PeterPerfect":1xr44e05 said:
As further proof of this, I bought the Overburys on the bay which was an impulse buy which is now for sale on here!

Flipper, stripper or very poor impulse control? You decide.

No to number 1, not on this occasion to number 2 and I've decided; yes to number 3.

It's back on the bay so hopefully someone will pull the trigger. It's actually very nice!

PeterPerfect":2yzlmrbr said:
The History Man":2yzlmrbr said:
PeterPerfect":2yzlmrbr said:

Flipper, stripper or very poor impulse control? You decide.

No to number 1, not on this occasion to number 2 and I've decided; yes to number 3.
We need to talk about peter.

Back