Kona Cindercone (1996?)

King_Cooper

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys,

I’m new here. Got an old Kona Cindercone. Bought it with savings and birthday money as a teenager when it was only a year or so old. Paid £450 for it back then, and LOVED it ever since!
Used it pretty much daily all the way through my teens - until I got a car, and it disappeared into the garage.
Recently dug it back out of my mum and Dads (about a year ago). Cleaned it up, manage to find some original grip shift rubbers as they’d all perished.
Stripped the headset, cleaned and regressed and put it back on the road briefly, then it found its way back into my mum and dads garage as we had our house renovated.
Today, I’ve been and reclaimed it, stripped down the bottom brackets, cleaned, greased and refitted.
My intention would be ideally to replace any worn out parts with the oem ones if possible - OR - upgrade to modern ones if they are better but don’t impact the look of the bike.

Was hoping you guys would be able to help me source parts or give me some pointers as to what parts I could use.
I “think” it’s a 1996 model. Light gold/yellow frame, blue stickers; grey P2 forks.

It did however have a respray after I had an accident, bent the derailleur hanger and had to have it repaired.
They guy sprayed it the wrong colour and got the wrong stickers. Ended up darker gold with orange stickers.

I’ll add some pics when I get on a PC....

Any info you guys can give me on my bike would be great.

Also, it’s a 16” frame and feels a bit small. When I ride it I feel myself skidding off the back of the seat, is there anything I can do to combat this (I’ve raised the seat and slid it back as far as it will go) or is it just me having a weird riding position?

Welcome!!!!

Have a look in the catalogue section, you will be able to get all the original specs etc there.

Gil_m on this forum does accurate and excellent decals.

As for painting, powdercoat is the toughest. Most local powdercoaters nowadays have experience of bikes - it's worth visiting them for a chat. If you want a wet-sprayed finish (which is shinier but less tough) then Bob Jackson in Leeds, Argos in Bristol, Vaz in London or Ellis-Briggs are good starting points.

Have a look in the build threads for ideas - plenty of Konas there! The 94 Cindercone is my favourite.

If you keep falling off the back of the saddle, it may me that the nose is too high. A sensible starting point is the saddle dead horizontal, possibly with the nose about 5mm abouve the back. Any more and you are in BMX territory...

Re:

Cheers mate, I’ll check the build threads out.
My plan would be to put it back to its original finesse. So I’d like to get the original colour bang on with the original blue decals.
Powder coating would be my plan if I was changing the colour.

Who is the chap in Leeds? I don’t live too far from there (half way between Leeds and Hull)

P.S. think I’ve solved my seat issue. Had it too far back - I’d pushed it back thinking it would stop me shooting off the back when I pedalled but it instead caused me pain as I was mostly sitting on the nose.
So, skid the seat forward then jacked the seat up about another inch and half. Seems to have done the trick.

Also, re-measured my bike. Thought it was 16” as was measuring to the top tube, but measuring to the seatpost it is 18”.

One last thing, how do I add photos on here?? Trying to add them from my phone but they’re too large???

Cheers

Dan

Bob Jackson
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/frame-resprays/
Top drawer frame builder, even down here in darkest Hampshire it's where the bike shops send frames for respray. You are unlikely to get a 'bang on' colour match easily as they were not standard RAL colours - but you should get something close.

Have a look in the General section on adding photos. Simplest is to upload them to Flickr, then get the image link and paste it into the thread. There is a limit of around 300kB on images posted natively, you need to re-size them in a photo editor to drop directly into a thread.

Re:

Hi, sounds interesting, get some photos uploaded! (I mostly use my android phone and resize photos using "Photo & Picture Resizer" and then just add them to my posts).

You can get "Layback" or "Setback" seat posts, the clamp at the top is set to the rear, that might help you a bit. A slightly longer stem might also help.

This is my bike
The colours are slightly darker than they should be for the 1996. And it’s got the wrong coloured decals.
As I mentioned, I managed the bend the derailleur hanger, so it went for repair and came back a different colour!

Attachments

• 463C052F-26CF-4048-8362-CB6C92943727.jpeg
    463C052F-26CF-4048-8362-CB6C92943727.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 343
This is how it used to look before I smashed it up..
(This is a photo I found online, unfortunately not my bike)

Attachments

• D0D79D7A-6BE3-43F9-8295-8C198A64FCB0.jpeg
    D0D79D7A-6BE3-43F9-8295-8C198A64FCB0.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 343
Nice bikes the cindercone’s
All though urs seems different shade still looks good.the decals are from a newer model going by the style of them.
I’ve 2 of em I like the gold colour that much.
Had one from new and the other one came up for sale few yrs back

Bawgixer":16f87ts3 said:
Nice bikes the cindercone’s
All though urs seems different shade still looks good.the decals are from a newer model going by the style of them.
I’ve 2 of em I like the gold colour that much.
Had one from new and the other one came up for sale few yrs back

Yes it came back from the spray shop the wrong shade, and with the wrong decals. The shop also sprayed the forks!! They used to be silver/grey like the stem.
The front logo is wrong too. It originally had the swirly blue circle, now it’s got a “K”

My aim is now to rectify those issues.

Back