Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:00 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:50 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

mattr wrote:
legrandefromage wrote:

Not quite ;) That looks like a low budget (childs bike) axle brake of some description. Don't think i'd fancy that stopping a 100 kilo rider + bike on a steep decent!

It was more the name that caught my eye, somebody must have been blowing the dust of some catalogues in 1995

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:07 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

hamster wrote:
petitpal wrote:
Thinking about this - some of the arguments on here are actually more related to hydraulic disks, rather than cable operated. So maybe a better question would be: what's the difference between cable operated disks and cable operated rim brakes vs the difference between hydraulic disks and hydraulic rim brakes (Maguras, etc).

I'm assuming that Maguras would have the same advantages as hydraulic disks - consistently minimal input for maximum power?

My Maguras are able happily to pull up a loaded touring tandem with a child trailer, wet or dry.

Ties in with what I've heard :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:08 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

legrandefromage wrote:
1975 - aint the t'internet great?

Seriously cool... fairly sure I didn't have those on my Grifter though :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 am 
Old School Grand Master

petitpal wrote:
hamster wrote:
petitpal wrote:
Thinking about this - some of the arguments on here are actually more related to hydraulic disks, rather than cable operated. So maybe a better question would be: what's the difference between cable operated disks and cable operated rim brakes vs the difference between hydraulic disks and hydraulic rim brakes (Maguras, etc).

I'm assuming that Maguras would have the same advantages as hydraulic disks - consistently minimal input for maximum power?

My Maguras are able happily to pull up a loaded touring tandem with a child trailer, wet or dry.

Ties in with what I've heard :)

I remember setting up one of the first sets of these on an ATB in the v early 90s. The were so powerful ( & snatchy ) i thought they were too dangerous to use :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 am 
Old School Grand Master

First magura HS brakes i saw were on a swallow tandem at the york rally, probably 88 or 89. Massively powerful.

A note on the bike by the end of day two asking people not to touch the display. Most people were amazed by how much the stays spread with such a small load on the lever.

I then had them on a Dawes Double Edge 653 about 5 or 6 years later, and they would happily bring our ~200kg all up weight to a halt from north of 100kph on road. And a similar performance off road too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:48 pm 
Old School Hero

Ive got cantis, Vs and disc brakes (had hydraulic discs and now have cable discs).
Ive never got on with cantis for anything other than a bimble ride. No matter how much time spent setting them up. But, ive never had really good cantis either.

V brakes...ive had xt and thought they were alright. But, stx rc v brakes are my favourite and though they take a bit more setting up than xt, i find them muvh more potent.
I have them on all my bikes that run v brakes. Awsome brakes.

Hydraulics i didnt like particularly, especially when they need to be bled etc.

Avid bb7 cable disc brakes, a real bitch to set up but great when done, especially with compression-less cable outers.
I find them great.

Still my favourite are v brakes though.