Disc brakes v Rim brakes - Food for Thought

hamster":154m3sqo said:
petitpal":154m3sqo said:
Thinking about this - some of the arguments on here are actually more related to hydraulic disks, rather than cable operated. So maybe a better question would be: what's the difference between cable operated disks and cable operated rim brakes vs the difference between hydraulic disks and hydraulic rim brakes (Maguras, etc).

I'm assuming that Maguras would have the same advantages as hydraulic disks - consistently minimal input for maximum power?

My Maguras are able happily to pull up a loaded touring tandem with a child trailer, wet or dry.

Ties in with what I've heard :)

petitpal":1l5ik8g7 said:
hamster":1l5ik8g7 said:
petitpal":1l5ik8g7 said:
Thinking about this - some of the arguments on here are actually more related to hydraulic disks, rather than cable operated. So maybe a better question would be: what's the difference between cable operated disks and cable operated rim brakes vs the difference between hydraulic disks and hydraulic rim brakes (Maguras, etc).

I'm assuming that Maguras would have the same advantages as hydraulic disks - consistently minimal input for maximum power?

My Maguras are able happily to pull up a loaded touring tandem with a child trailer, wet or dry.

Ties in with what I've heard :)

I remember setting up one of the first sets of these on an ATB in the v early 90s. The were so powerful ( & snatchy ) i thought they were too dangerous to use :LOL:

First magura HS brakes i saw were on a swallow tandem at the york rally, probably 88 or 89. Massively powerful.

A note on the bike by the end of day two asking people not to touch the display. Most people were amazed by how much the stays spread with such a small load on the lever.

I then had them on a Dawes Double Edge 653 about 5 or 6 years later, and they would happily bring our ~200kg all up weight to a halt from north of 100kph on road. And a similar performance off road too.

Ive got cantis, Vs and disc brakes (had hydraulic discs and now have cable discs).
Ive never got on with cantis for anything other than a bimble ride. No matter how much time spent setting them up. But, ive never had really good cantis either.

V brakes...ive had xt and thought they were alright. But, stx rc v brakes are my favourite and though they take a bit more setting up than xt, i find them muvh more potent.
I have them on all my bikes that run v brakes. Awsome brakes.

Hydraulics i didnt like particularly, especially when they need to be bled etc.

Avid bb7 cable disc brakes, a real bitch to set up but great when done, especially with compression-less cable outers.
I find them great.

Still my favourite are v brakes though.

Back