Titanium bolts

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
All of my bikes are built out of a selection of used parts, and most see a bit of weather. Chromed bolts often go rusty and spoil things.

Usually I'd look for stainless replacements, but...cost aside, any reason not to use ti? In terms of corrosion and strength will they do the same job with a (tiny) bit less weight? OK to use normal grease/anti-seize on the threads?

Thanks guys!

Re:

I normally use a combination of Stainless, Ti, and alloy.

Stainless in high stress areas, Ti in medium, Alloy in low stress, all Ti is very very expensive ;)

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":esprmqwr said:
I normally use a combination of Stainless, Ti, and alloy.

Stainless in high stress areas, Ti in medium, Alloy in low stress, all Ti is very very expensive ;)

+1

Re:

I’ve just tried a rust removal idea I found online.

Take the rusty bolt and leave in a cup of vinegar for week and try come out lie New.

The vinegar goes from clear to brown.

Anyone else tried this?

Titanium is a horrible material for fasteners. It tends to gall and stick.
https://code541.gsfc.nasa.gov/Uploads_m ... 20133R.pdf
Also, bolt sizes are designed for steel bolts - a Ti one is likely to end up under-specified for the job.
This is an interesting read:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/01/ ... han-steel/

If you get stainless in the right grade, you won't get significant corrosion. However you are more likely to get cracking, as the extra Chrome in the alloy makes it less resistant to cracks.

I wouldnt use titanium threaded into titanium, eg ti crank bolts into titanium bottom bracket due to galling even with antiseize, but aside from that its easily strong enough for most bicycle applications. I've been using titanium bolts on my bikes since the early 90s & dont recall ever having had a problem.

scant":1arvgc5h said:
I wouldnt use titanium threaded into titanium, eg ti crank bolts into titanium bottom bracket due to galling even with antiseize, but aside from that its easily strong enough for most bicycle applications. I've been using titanium bolts on my bikes since the early 90s & dont recall ever having had a problem.

+1

Re:

A2 80 stainless for high stress areas. Careful of low grade bolts made of cheese. Ok for your water bottle but nowhere critical.

Back