Dawes Street Life

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I stopped someone in the act of physically throwing this (see photos below) in a skip :roll: The pictures below show the condition after a quick wash down with soapy water and some WD40 on the chain, but otherwise it is as it came. :shock: The guy was happy for me to take it away, the only problem with it was a sticky shifter - cured with a squirt of WD40 and the back tyre is perished.

Even though it is just a low end hybrid it staggers me that people throw stuff like this away - it clearly has been hardly used, even the anodising on the rims is still present. It is flippin' massive at 23", but actually I rode it an hour and a half yesterday and found it quite comfy. I have no idea what to do with it, I was going to take the rack off for another bike but it doesn't fit. Ho hum. Some pottering around the country lanes and bridleways I guess.....

The name cracks me up 'Street Life', I think of a grimy scene of urban decay, obviously Dawes think 'well-heeled, traditional gentleman'!

SP

Attachments

• Dawes_4.jpg
    Dawes_4.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 559
  • Dawes_3.jpg
    Dawes_3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 557
  • Dawes_2.jpg
    Dawes_2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 559
  • Dawes_1.jpg
    Dawes_1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 559
Re: Hole in the fence?

Splatter Paint":2h34z7bk said:
.....The name cracks me up 'Street Life', I think of a grimy scene of urban decay, obviously Dawes think 'well-heeled, traditional gentleman'!SP

Dawes were probably not thinking of Roxy Music or indeed Randy Crawford, but the ever cool B.F. is always a well turned out gentleman. I can just see him on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arct2SuLcZs

...., and check out Phil Manzanera with that Gibson Firebird - whoa, nice axe.

Pip

he could have at least given it to a charity shop to sell? Nice find. Sell on Gumtree perhaps?

Re:

:LOL:

The chain guard would keep Bryan Ferry's white trousers clean on the way to the gig. Maybe Street Life refers to this part of the lyrics

Come on with me cruising down the street
Who knows what you'll see, who you might meet
This brave new world's not like yesterday
It can take you higher than the milky way

Maybe I'll grow into it ;)

A perfect commuter with a hard-wearing if unexciting groupset; also great for a run to the shops - nobody is going to steal it.

Re:

blast from the past this one, i remember selling tons of these around `97/98 i think retail £299 good commuter but we had loads of warranty claims on the crappy LP26 bottom brackets.. one elderly guy wanted a cup and cone bb fitted as he couldn't get his head the point of a around a non adjustable/disposable cartridge.(not in my day and all that)
ahh the memories :LOL:
anyway great rescue.

Re:

Thanks for the positive comments :) I rode it yesterday for over an hour and it is just too big for me :( Anybody know a very tall person in need of a giant bike?

23" c-c seat tube 23" c-c top tube. Back tyre cracked / perished, cables have corrosion and could do with replacement like the tyres. I could flip it, but would like it to go to a person who actually needs a splendid old gate.

SP

Back