Resurrecting 1997 Klein Mantra Comp

I have to get creative here as I already scarred the surface. Mine does look corroded but you never know how it is on the inside

Re:

I'm soaking it now into some diesel fluid... will give it a week or two.

What did you use to push/hammer the sleeve out? it has to be about 28.5mm

Also, the pivot can be put down on a table with a whole or opening wider than the sleeve but smaller than the eyelets and then hammer it from the top

I used that adjustable c-clamp to secure press the hinge-eyelets together. Then I put the frame flat on my lawn, which is soft enough to not scratch anything while still alowing the sleeve to "sink in". I cant remember exactly what I used for hammering, but as the sleeve has no markings from the process, I am pretty sure, I used some wooden something to hammer on. As for the tool, I have a very heavy hammer made from oak wood. I do remember it took me several very hard blows to get that bushing out of there.
I don't think desel will help it in any way. But it won't hurt, too. Maybe use some alcohol, too, to help you courage a bit :LOL:

dyna-ti":2sdry1cl said:
I dismantled(or is that dismantra'd :p ) one of these last year and to break it gently to you its an absolute barsteward to remove.

Still no success. I hammer the sh*t out of it and it's not moving.

What did you use to hammer on? Spanner socket?

Found this.
http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher ... lKlein.pdf

My memory is shot, i just cant remember all the bits i used to tap out the main pivot :? I laid the frame on a bit of wood so the metal of the swing arm was supported,held that in place with a QR joiners clamp(plastic type) then placed the socket against the edge of the main pivot and started hitting it. You really need to brace the frame so it doesnt jump about.
Doesnt seem to be a set side you knock it out from.

I think i followed someone else's instructions, and there was pics so maybe just search the other forums too.

Re:

Finally success!

Dt6RuES.jpg

Now, how do I remove the pivot bushings?:

WrWU5Gu.jpg

Re:

Pivot bushings removed too.

Question - do they need to be lubricated prior installation? I've read mixed cases.

The problem is in the bearing surface. It is corroded. And this will wear the new bushes down very very fast. I think you need a new sleeve, too.

In my mind, teflon coated bearing surfaces don't need any lubrication.

Back